Adding molding to "anything"

PMMully

I have a series of cabinets on the wall, can select molding, all good. I also have an "Arch Raised Mantle Range Hood" on the same wall (it is a copyrighted object by Jim Bishop), all good. But I need to add the same crown molding on the cabinet to the object. I can not seem to find a good way to do this.

I imagine I could create a tiny cabinet above it and just have the molding show, or do customer polyline? I have seen examples in the videos of custom moldings. I really do not need to go to that extent. I know there is an easy way somewhere..... thanks in advance.

On 1/26/2021 at 4:42 PM, PMMully said:

But I need to add the same crown molding on the cabinet to the object.

With a little fiddling this works on anything at all so long as the edge you want to add molding to is straight.

Select hood in plan, convert to symbol, cabinet door, change the Y origin.

Place cabinet correct width and height of hood, depth of cabinet to be where you need the molding

The sides and back as openings, seperations at 0"

Find the CAD block for the hood and insert door and insert into plan view.

image.thumb.png.b38a3a007df4674942ae911ff698306a.png

14 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Sounds cool, but I can not get it to work. I make a cabinet/drawer symbol ok, then the rest loses me. 

With a little fiddling this works on anything at all so long as the edge you want to add molding to is straight.

Select hood in plan, convert to symbol, cabinet door, change the Y origin.

Place cabinet correct width and height of hood, depth of cabinet to be where you need the molding

The sides and back as openings, seperations at 0"

Find the CAD block for the hood and insert door and insert into plan view.

image.thumb.png.b38a3a007df4674942ae911ff698306a.png

Hood as door.plan

41 minutes ago, solver said:

People rarely need to use a 3D Molding Polyline.

Here is a video showing where you might use one.

@Solver, that did the trick, fast and easy, thanks.

In your case, draw a Molding Polyline in plan.

And a suggestion for the future. Pictures almost always help explain, and usually, elevations, unless your question is related to the elevation, are not as good as a 3D.

In your case, that hood might be curved/sloped etc and it would not be clear looking at an elevation.