Log House

myrtsbnye

At times I work with log houses and would like to do them up in 3D. I used to use standard Autocad and rendering software but it was a bit cumbersome and not worth the extra cost to the client. I've also read a tutorial on the Chief Architect site about doing log homes by applying log siding to the house after it has been drawn up. Looks a bit cumbersome as well.

Has anyone out there used Chief Architect for log homes? Or would you have an alternative software option. Just looking for the ability to supply the customer with basic 3d renderings (raytracing not necessary) to show clients for their review.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, myrtsbnye said:

At times I work with log houses and would like to do them up in 3D. I used to use standard Autocad and rendering software but it was a bit cumbersome and not worth the extra cost to the client. I've also read a tutorial on the Chief Architect site about doing log homes by applying log siding to the house after it has been drawn up. Looks a bit cumbersome as well.

Has anyone out there used Chief Architect for log homes? Or would you have an alternative software option. Just looking for the ability to supply the customer with basic 3d renderings (raytracing not necessary) to show clients for their review.

Thanks 

There's no reason that you can't use a wall type with a single layer using a material with a log wall texture.

17 hours ago, NRST8TRKR said:

Here are a couple Log homes I have done with chief. Yes it is totally doable.

Go for it, Ken

Norr Logg Home.jpg

Chase and Tonya Merry Christmas.jpg

Single-layer walls, texture in and out as logs?

Symbols at corners to depict thru-notch  overhang?

Balloon all walls to eliminate platform stops?

Easy to do, and satisfies both client and custom log builder.

I think the best answer depends on the level of accuracy you need.  Simply using a wall type with a log texture inside an out and exterior attachments for the overlapping log ends would work just fine for some, but if you want/need increased accuracy, I'm with Joe.  Special wall type with one or 2 layers (air gap and/or chinking) and then manually stack logs using symbols and/or solids.  

Gene, 

I use a three layer Wall Type that allows me to dimension accurately. The company I draw for uses D logs with foam insulation between logs (no chinking).

The gables are framed with half logs.

The log corners are poly-solids.

So far Happy Builder and Happy Clients and Happy Me, Ken