Default Sliding Door interior v exterior

AdeleMinton

Hi there

Using x12 Premier and for a while now I'm confused with what determines if a door is exterior or interior. I thought it may be the wall type.

In default settings I have options for interior door, exterior door, interior sliding, exterior sliding. However on my toolbar I only have the options of Hinged door or sliding door.

I have set my defaults to match the above but when I drop a door on either an external wall or internal wall they are always an external door.  I've looked through the settings and nothing jumps out for what I could be doing wrong. 

Screenshot attached showing both wall types.

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 9.00.58 pm.png

Chief knows if you are placing a door in an external wall or an internal wall - nothing to do with wall type - it's the location of the wall that matters (internal or external).

If you place a door in an external wall it should follow the external door defaults - likewise for internal doors.

To see better how this works, change the default, say, widths for interior (say, 1 foot wide) and exterior (say, 4 foot wide) doors and place both of them in internal and external walls and see what happens.

If you are relying on the door preview in the Door Specification dbx, it will default to Exterior - this only relates to the side of the door displayed in the preview, which has an external side and an internal side - even though it may be located in an interior wall.

You can spin the door preview around to see the other side of the door.

2 hours ago, glennw said:

If you place a door in an external wall it should follow the external door defaults - likewise for internal doors.

Always understood it was due to room types?  For example if you have a covered porch room attached to an exterior sided wall, or a garage, etc.

The interior and exterior labels in the door dialog preview just show you the side of the door that you are currently looking at.  To know whether a door is considered an interior or exterior door, you should always look at the dialog title.  See the picture below.

The program will place either an interior or exterior door based on the wall that you place it on.  The wall will be considered an interior wall or exterior wall based on the room types on both sides.  All of the rules for the different room types can be a little bit confusing but most of the time it should just make sense.  

Please note that door can actually change from an interior or exterior door if you later change any of your rooms or move it to a new location.  This may not always be obvious because only some of the door settings will change automatically".  When any setting that is a "dynamic default", such as the door style, is set to "use default", this setting will change based on the current door defaults being used.  Settings that are not dynamic defaults, such as the door width, will not change automatically.  For example, if you draw a simple 4-wall box house and then place a door, the door should be an exterior door.  If you then delete one of the walls, causing the program to lose the room definition, the door will automatically switch to an interior door but it will remain at the original exterior door width.

On a side note, this behavior is changing in X13.  Interior and exterior doors will be determined at the time they are placed and will not change automatically based on changing your rooms or moving them to a new location.  

door dialog.png

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

On a side note, this behavior is changing in X13.  Interior and exterior doors will be determined at the time they are placed and will not change automatically based on changing your rooms or moving them to a new location.  

VERY INTERESTING

Still processing that to see if I like that...  Can see both sides.  Curious why they changed it.