Pool Table Sizes vs Room size

DougDM

Just an FYI...if you're using any of the pool tables from the library, you may need to adjust the sizes if you're looking for an accurate representation. The sizes the table come into plan are

over-all sizes, Which is great for determining whether or not it will fit in a given space. However, pool table sizes are determined according to the actual playing surface. For instance, a pro (regulation) table called a 4-1/2 ft. X 9 ft  or just a 9 foot table  (50" x 100') from nosing to nosing of the cushions (playing surface).  If you require other sizes, you can check on https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/table/sizes/ for table sizes and playing areas needed. For example, the 8' table in the library comes in at 4'-8" x 8'-3",  the playing surface is correct at 44" x 88".   Which is fine...  keep in mind not all rail widths are the same width. You should lookup the table actually being used and draw a rectangle based on the over all dimensions ant hen another to represent the playing surface. The room size is based on playing surface size plus 5'-4" clear area around the perimeter of the table.  I.E.add 10'-8" to playing surface lengths for room size, more if possible.  I've been playing pool for some 50 yrs.,  a semi pro player and a table mechanic. I know what it's like trying to explain to clients if a table will fit or not. Or what's a comfortable area. Hope this is of any help.

This reminds me of a Pool Table Sizing Tool I made a few years back.  It was one of the first things I developed when I was first learning text macros.  It's not the most eloquent coding and I haven't used it for a bit, but I believe it should still work perfectly fine.  Just drop into the plan, make sure the "POOL TABLE SIZING TOOL" layer and the your "Cabinets, Labels" layers are both turned on and you should get automated feedback telling you exactly what size of pool table and cues will work for any given room size. 

I'll leave this here as a freebie for a limited time:

Pool Table Sizing Tool.calibz

Here's a little table I use for this purpose as well...

Seven foot table: 3.5' x 7'
(Playing area: 38" x 76")

A - 11' 6" x 14' 6"
B - 12' x 15'
C - 13' x 16'

Oversize eight foot table: 4' x 8'
(Playing area: 46" x 92")

A - 12' x 16'
B - 12' 6" x 16' 6"
C - 13' 6" x 17' 6"

Eight foot table: 4' x 8'
(Playing area: 44" x 88")

A - 12' x 15' 6"
B - 12' 6" x 16'
C - 13' 6" x 17'

Nine foot table: 4.5' x 9'
(Playing area: 50" x 100")

A - 12' 6" x 16' 6"
B - 13' x 17'
C - 14' x 18'

A is the area required for a 48" cue.
B is the area required for a 52" cue.
C is the area required for a standard 58" cue.