Modeling Arched Beam

Evolution

Go to solution Solved by Evolution,

Looking into purchasing CA premier and although I have used CA Pro software for a while, am not "expert" at it and upgrading to X5 will certainly be a greater learning curve. I realize modeling the arched beam in the attached picture will be difficult at best, I was curious if once I have modeled it, can it be saved and used for example on the interior in a large room that is supposed to resemble post and beam construction.

FRONT ENTRY ARCHES.pdf

you can also do it using curved ceilings with roof truss.

adjusting the truss spec dialog will lead to the look you want like for example,

the attached image

That is clever Yusuf. But now, can you keep the curved bottom chord f you eliminate the ceiling plane and do an F12 (rebuild).

• 2 months later...
  • Solution

My final results aren't perfect, but SO MUCH BETTER than when I started, and any way, the client wasn't too concerned about THEM being perfect, as He is have them built in a millwork shop and they'll provide SHOP DWGS first before constructing them.

At least my model expresses the intent he's looking for.

YAY!

post-1662-0-24795900-1423605027_thumb.png

post-1662-0-26027900-1423605069_thumb.png

My final results aren't perfect, but SO MUCH BETTER than when I started, and any way, the client wasn't too concerned about THEM being perfect, as He is have them built in a millwork shop and they'll provide SHOP DWGS first before constructing them.

At least my model expresses the intent he's looking for.

YAY!

Bob nice accomplishment!

I see your timber frame has combination of rafters and purlins. We use purlin on top of trusses in our area while chief does not do purlins perpendicular to the truss top chord. And that is the area I see your plan has the 1% left to accomplish the 100%. And not actually user error. Chief fix this type of framing please(I don't know if x7 do this).

Any way I do it with the roof and roof framing tools with out using any other thing to get this look, may be it helps a bit in your plan.

Keep up the good work. It is nice really

post-2517-0-63974000-1423612075_thumb.jpg

post-2517-0-12169100-1423612095_thumb.jpg

Way to go Bob. Which technique did you use?

I took anElev section, zoomed in drew a poly line over the facia, then made it a PLS set the mat'l and thickness, did a select object drag out the width I needed, then copied pasted in place, did a reflect about to dup the other side.

Bottom chord poly line solid, the make one edge arched and parallel the other arch. The vertical fret work pretty much the same. Then selected all members and made it an arch block and saved in my user library. Glenn Woodward gave me a quick tutor on the how to use the tool.

Bob nice accomplishment!

I see your timber frame has combination of rafters and purlins. We use purlin on top of trusses in our area while chief does not do purlins perpendicular to the truss top chord. And that is the area I see your plan has the 1% left to accomplish the 100%. And not actually user error. Chief fix this type of framing please(I don't know if x7 do this).

Any way I do it with the roof and roof framing tools with out using any other thing to get this look, may be it helps a bit in your plan.

Keep up the good work. It is nice really

Thanks Yusuf!

Make the plan containing trusses( not the symbol) in a new plan view it in 3d. Sellect all off layer then display only trusses. Go to symbol create wizard and you will get it not greyed. Convert to a symbol. Then place it back to the plan and see it done.

Note symbol conversion is done in 3d view not selecting in plan.