Hole in Floor Polyline Offset by Vertical Finish Thickness

TheKitchenAbode

Just noticed this and checking to see if others have experienced this.

Placed a hole in floor on a second floor. Dimensioned it in plan view. Then took a cross section and dimensioned it. The plan view polyline dimension is off by the thickness of the openings vertical drywall finish. Encountered this as I was attempting to align some railings in plan view to be perfectly flush with the opening by snapping to the floor opening polyline.

40 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just noticed this and checking to see if others have experienced this.

Placed a hole in floor on a second floor. Dimensioned it in plan view. Then took a cross section and dimensioned it. The plan view polyline dimension is off by the thickness of the openings vertical drywall finish. Encountered this as I was attempting to align some railings in plan view to be perfectly flush with the opening by snapping to the floor opening polyline.

What Dimension defaults were you using?

17 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

Check the railing wall layers that the wall above is aligning to.

I did that initially as I thought that was where the problem was but it's the fact that the floor plan polyline for the hole in floor is not sized to the finished opening, it seems to be sized to the rough opening.

1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

If I look at your cross section view it seems that your dimension is to the framing face not the exposed drywall finish.

Yep. A hole in the structure would need to be framed so the plan view would give the framers the dims they need. 

You are wanting the drywall dimensioned in plan view?

Just now, joey_martin said:

Yep. A hole in the structure would need to be framed so the plan view would give the framers the dims they need. 

You are wanting the drywall dimensioned in plan view?

Exactly. If I'm attempting to use the hole in floor polyline to align items to the finished opening I have to add an offset equal to the vertical drywall finish. Just wondering if there might be a setting somewhere so when I draw the hole in floor polyline it is actually the size of the finished opening.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

Is there a specific reason that you're using the Hole In Floor Platform tool rather than just defining the hole with walls?  If you use walls then you can get the desired behaviour.

I used the hole in floor as I was creating a large open wrap around balcony, did not want a bunch of invisible walls surrounding the opening. Besides placing railings around the opening I was also placing a moulding polyline to apply a bullnose overhang to the hardwood flooring. That's when I noticed it, I drew the moulding polyline snapped to the hole in floor polyline and the molding did not locate properly.

13 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I used the hole in floor as I was creating a large open wrap around balcony, did not want a bunch of invisible walls surrounding the opening. Besides placing railings around the opening I was also placing a moulding polyline to apply a bullnose overhang to the hardwood flooring. That's when I noticed it, I drew the moulding polyline snapped to the hole in floor polyline and the molding did not locate properly.

I guess I am confused as well as to why you wouldn't use the wall tool and set it as the railing you are placing?  I am guessing it must be a control of where you want the railing in relation to the hole?  If you had it as a room set as open to below then used a room poly-line molding to set your stair-nosing molding would that not do what you are trying to do exactly?

1 minute ago, rgardner said:

I guess I am confused as well as to why you wouldn't use the wall tool and set it as the railing you are placing?  I am guessing it must be a control of where you want the railing in relation to the hole?  If you had it as a room set as open to below then used a room poly-line molding to set your stair-nosing molding would that not do what you are trying to do exactly?

My thoughts too.   You don’t even need to use a molding polyline necessarily. You could just apply a molding to the room itself.  Plus, you have full control over what material gets added to the side of that opening.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I realize there are other ways to accomplish this. The method I used seemed to be the most logical, create an opening in the floor, place a moulding polyline to the openings edge and then place railings around the opening. Everything would flow off of the floor hole polyline. Obviously as I found out is that the hole polyline represents the rough opening. No problem as if I wish to continue to do it that way I can always generate a cad polyline set inside the hole to represent the drywall finish and then use it to snap everything to.

• Like 1