Tile Plan- 2D/ Construction Doc

SWinteriordesign

Hello!

I'm fairly new to C.A. so hopefully this isn't too silly of a question. I'm using Chief Architect Interiors X12 and am coming from a CAD background. I'm used to using hatches (or drawing more detailed floors) to create tile/ flooring plans for our installers to go off of. I'm stumped as to how to get a patterned floor, such as a 24" x 24" tile, to show in a 2D view. I can see it in the 3D views but we don't include 3D in our construction docs. Attached is an example of what I'm able to draw in CAD that I can't figure out how to draw here! Thanks in advance!

Tile Plan.PNG

4 minutes ago, glennw said:

Not sure about Interiors.

When you open a room or objects dbx, is there a Fill Style panel?

Yes, there is. I can choose 'grid' ad edit the size for my 24" x 24" flooring, however it doesn't fill as you would laying tile (notice uneven sized tiles on left and right side). Perhaps it's a matter of messing with the offset? Also trying to get it to line up with the bathroom above it as they'll be the same flooring. 

Tile Floor.PNG

Fill Style.PNG

Something this small, I would just draw lines to replicate the grout line, and be done with it.  I never know what the client will end up using, so I don't show these lines.  But since your doing interiors, I guess you need to.  Drawing lines is far better than the frustration of trying to offset.  My $.02.  :-)      

• Like 1

A way to use the fill and line them up across several attached rooms is by using and editing room poly lines and filling those poly lines.  There is an auto create room poly line and you can adjust that across rooms to fill a larger area.  You will still have to deal with offset though.

• Like 1

Sure would be nice if we could select the fill in 2D, have its lines and intersections be snap-to, and be able to  either x-y move it, or point to point.

I draw plans for a builder who is pouring concrete atop wood-framed floors, grinding and polishing it with what looks like terrazzo equipment, and sawcutting grid lines.  I draw the grids using CAD, deciding best layout.

I'll write up a suggestion.

14 hours ago, SWinteriordesign said:

Perhaps it's a matter of messing with the offset?

This is it! Just keep in mind that if you're using the same material for multiple rooms, you'd need to make multiple copies of the same material so that you can control the offset for each room's tile. Otherwise, the offset applied to one will be global (throughout the entire plan). And, it'd be helpful to make sure the material's texture and pattern are synced before making those offsets and subsequent copies.

Forgot to add one item...this works with an Orthographic Floor Overview. That way the material's pattern is represented in the Vector View technique.

You can use this view as needed or you can generate a CAD detail from this view.

image.thumb.png.bd5fd6a4651e06bc42b13841cbc82460.png

I always recommend that even Interior Designers really consider just upgrading to Premier.  There are a handful of extra tools that you'll eventually find irreplaceable.  In this particular instance, we have something in Premier called CAD Detail From View that makes super quick work of figuring out those offsets.

1. Set the desired Fill style or Material Pattern,
  2. CAD>CAD Detail From View
  3. Use the generated linework to figure the required offset(s)
  4. Enter the offset(s) in the Fill Style or Pattern settings.