Possible Square Footage Bug?

ragetoca

I bought the book "Residential Design Using X6" while doing one of the exercises I found something abnormal. I drew a 36'-0"x22'-0" room with a living area of 792 SF - BUT when you add interior partitions the living area changes to 790 SF - Have any of you encountered something like this before? See Attached

post-3082-0-52794500-1416801504_thumb.jpg

post-3082-0-03384300-1416801510_thumb.jpg

Could be, but I can live with it.

Perry, this is my biggest frustration with CA - too many strange behaviors and missing features that we have "live with." I admit that I'm retentive and extremely detail-driven, but surely you can see the OP's point?

My purchasing/estimator director he go nuts if he sees this, anyway, I am still playing with the demo, hopefully CA gets to a point where we can do polyline based areas like in Autocad

You can always draw a polyline and query the object for the enclosed area. You can even select a room, automagically generate the room polyline, and there you go. I can't however, control whether CA calculates the area correctly.

My purchasing/estimator director he go nuts if he sees this, anyway, I am still playing with the demo, hopefully CA gets to a point where we can do polyline based areas like in Autocad

I totally agree,  a PLINE based area.....  we have been talking about this for a couple of years now.

I never use that Living area label but I just did a test and it appears that it does not reduce by the interior wall footage. I started adding interior walls and at one point the square footage jumped up one foot then down again.

I can confirm this behavior.

Spaces labled "open" and "attic" are obviously removed from area calcs. But did you know that if you have an attatched garage, the area calc uses half the thickness of the wall. Other wise it use the wall layer to the exterior to figure floor area. This comes from the reference manual. See Perry, I do read it.

It uses half the wall between the house and Garage and the outside of the Exterior walls to be exact

Perry,

Not quite exact.

It depends on your "Living Area To" setting in the Plan Defaults. 

You can choose either Main Layer or Surface.

Ragetoca:

I see some rooms that don't have labels

are they set to "unspecified" ???

I can't see why that would have an effect - just an observation

I agree that simply sub-dividing the space shouldn't change the overall sqft

post the plan here so we can "play along"

also send it to tech support to see what they say

Lew