Create room with only Interior Dimensions

MyHome01

Hi Everybody!

I'm a new Chief Architect user (version X12). I was wondering if is there any way to create a room just with the interior dimensions (While you place the walls you insert the interior dimension desired), instead of create it with outside ones, and then modify them.

Thank you for your help

1 hour ago, solver said:

ce or draw walls using dimensions, an

When I start to draw a room, first I create the shape of It and then change the measure of the wall (click on the dimension and type the number that I want).

So far the first dimension that appears at first It's the outside dimension wall (not the inside of the room). I don't know If is there any way to work with the interior directly instead of click on "auto dimensions" and then start to modify their value.

I'm working as Interior designer, so what I want is the inside of the room, not create the architecture of the building (were the outside dimension is Important).

\

Thank you for your help

Hi, I have the same issue.  I used to use Chief a lot at a former job (a much older version) and since I did mostly interior work you would draw a box and then what I want to do is be able to click on a wall and when the dimension comes up be able to change it.  The problem is its set to exterior dimension not interior dimensions.  In the old version you would click on the dimension tool>locate objects and there was a combination of walls and wall options you would click to make this happen.  I have tried every combination and it still just shows the dimensions to the outside of the wall.  Any help would be appreciated.

If you are mostly doing interior work, try this:

- In your General Wall Defaults, set the Resize About to Inner Surface and turn on Show Wall Length When Editing.

- In your Auto Exterior Dimension Defaults, turn off Auto Refresh Dimensions

- In your Temporary Dimension Defaults, turn on Locate Wall Surface and Locate Both Wall Sides

• Upvote 1

"If you are mostly doing interior work, try this:

- In your General Wall Defaults, set the Resize About to Inner Surface and turn on Show Wall Length When Editing.

- In your Auto Exterior Dimension Defaults, turn off Auto Refresh Dimensions

- In your Temporary Dimension Defaults, turn on Locate Wall Surface and Locate Both Wall Sides"

Default Settings are found under the "Edit Menu" (Edit - Default Settings" where Default Settings can be found by category alphabetically there. Learning to do this BEFORE starting a new plan is the key to efficiency and competence.

DJP