Chief 10 key

emac60

Hi everyone,

I have been out of the loop for a while, so I apologize for going archaic 

A few years ago, I broke my CA key and at the time I was told by Support that I should put the program on a computer where it would reside forever and they would do a one time password to unlock it on that computer for a fee. The project that I was working on did not move forward so I stupidly did nothing. I was a Design/Builder for 40 years retired to my DJ service. Now fast forward to Covid times and I have a couple projects that I could do to make a few bucks, where my DJ business is still shut down. I just called support and they can no longer unlock my software. I am asking, as I did back in 2019, if there is anyone who no longer uses their Chief 10 key, if they would like to sell it. I know there aren't many out there, but I figured that I would ask, before telling my 2 clients that I cant do their projects. Renting the new version is not an option, and buying it before I do these 2 projects is not an option either. Anyone? (too old to start over in life) thanks in advance 

Ed

1 hour ago, emac60 said:

Hi everyone,

I have been out of the loop for a while, so I apologize for going archaic 

A few years ago, I broke my CA key and at the time I was told by Support that I should put the program on a computer where it would reside forever and they would do a one time password to unlock it on that computer for a fee. The project that I was working on did not move forward so I stupidly did nothing. I was a Design/Builder for 40 years retired to my DJ service. Now fast forward to Covid times and I have a couple projects that I could do to make a few bucks, where my DJ business is still shut down. I just called support and they can no longer unlock my software. I am asking, as I did back in 2019, if there is anyone who no longer uses their Chief 10 key, if they would like to sell it. I know there aren't many out there, but I figured that I would ask, before telling my 2 clients that I cant do their projects. Renting the new version is not an option, and buying it before I do these 2 projects is not an option either. Anyone? (too old to start over in life) thanks in advance 

Ed

You are actually asking someone to give you the program for free or to break their agreement with Chief Architect.  If Support is not willing to help there must be more to this story...

• Upvote 1

No you misunderstand completely. I asked to purchase a physical key to a program that I already own. I am willing to pay for the key, if you look in historical posts people were allowed to give or sell their keys that they were no longer using. I am a loyal Chief customer from the past and i do not believe in piracy, nor will i get in any agreement to do so. Chief has just lost the ability to make the software that I paid $2200 for work without the physical key that is needed to open it. I will eventually upgrade to the new version when i can afford to do so. Support is willing to help, just unable.

I am looking at that as an option, but if I do 2 projects over 2 months, $400 would be better spent toward buying the software again. I am a long haul type of guy, renting is a waste of money. Plus if you rent to buy it, you have to do it consecutively and the software costs $4000 instead of $2200. Then I also have to figure out how to convert all my templates and shortcuts, and learn a new piece of software while trying to do good and fast service to my customer. When I upgraded before it was never cold turkey, i had a backup previous version so I could professionally perform my job for my customer. I don't want to commit to be able to create drawings in whatever short amount of time through a new platform I have never used. CA is hands down the best design software out there, but I am out of shape because I've been out of the loop for a while. I know what I can do with CA 10x. I thought I was beyond needing an additional income in my late years. Covid has ruined my ability to make money DJing in my retirement, and taken a whole year of income away, and now maybe 2 years. I am a fighter and a worker, but economics are now driving decisions that would more easily be made in different times.

thanks for you interest in this matter... I really do appreciate it.

I have actually been watching the new tutorials and the capability is as amazing as I knew it would be. I haven't downloaded it yet because I have been building my recording studio up for this covid transition, so the software that I have loaded on the computer I need for this is overloaded with sound and video software. I was hoping to do cad on my old computer until I could afford to upgrade everything. I don't even know if there is a market for my cad services beyond the 2 jobs I have ready to do... so that is my dilemma. Watching the tutorials has been very helpful in knowing the core part of the program hasn't changed all that much. Thanks for your input for sure

it is illegal to sell older keys if that version has been upgraded

with verification with CA someone can donate their older keys

I have already done so with some of my older keys and I only asked for $8 to cover mailing expense

sorry but my Chief 10 key has already been donated

Lew

Thank you Lew, I will verify with whoever and CA, I value their hard work, and I am loving the new version. I will be upgrading after I generate enough business to justify it. here's a pic of my broken key :'(

CA Key pic.jpg