Remove Finish Flooring In Basement?

MickeyToo

How do I modify the defaults of my template plan to remove the finish flooring that Chief places on top of the slab in the basement? I have tried adjusting the Foundation and Floor defaults, with and without a foundation generated in the plan, and I just can't seem to get Chief to cooperate.

I can remove the finish flooring manually by unchecking Default for (K) and then opening and deleting the individual layers, but I want that to then be the default for the template plan.

It seems as though there should be a "Basement" room (along with the others) in the Rooms default.

Thanks in advance!

post-571-0-49962300-1416617011_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Jinto, but no go. The only way to clear away the finish flooring (after the foundation is built) is to hit Edit (K) and then delete any layers that make up the finish flooring. What I want to do is change the default so the flooring never shows up in the first place.

As far as I can tell it looks like the basement is taking on the default finish flooring (and finish ceiling) from the first floor Room defaults. The question is how to remove that link.

There were a couple of threads dealing with foundation defaults recently (very confusing subject), but none touched upon finish flooring.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses. I spent way too much time the other day trying to figure this one out  (another of those black holes in Chief), and now that it looks like I have not missed something I will contact TS on Monday. It seems there should be a "Basement" room listed among the other five room types in Room Defaults, where you could easily set the parameters of this room, just like any of the other rooms listed. There seems to be no place in Defaults (Rooms, Floors or Foundation) where you can remove the finish surfaces, which they seem to be getting from the room above. Go figure.

And just to clarify: I know how to remove (just) the finish floor surfaces after the foundation is built and still retain the concrete slab (in the correct position). That is not the problem. The problem is I do not want Chief to included the finish surfaces (on both the floor AND ceiling) every time it builds (or rebuilds) a foundation.

From what I have gathered, if you go with the Foundation Defaults as they come from Chief, you will not encounter this problem because with a stem wall height below a certain number (four feet maybe???), Chief does not automatically build the basement slab. I have increased the stem wall height (in Foundation Default) to a point where Chief now automatically includes the slab...along with finish floor and ceiling surfaces!  Still hope I missed something. We'll see.

If you open the floor dbx and open the floor finish default, you then delete the floor finish layers. And, you can set this up ahead of time and the flooring will not show. You are missing something because we just about only build basements in my neck of the wood....I do A LOT of basements and have never had an issue.

How do you open the floor defaults dbx before the floor is built? Only default available beforehand is "Rooms" & if you remove the finish floor there, every room/every floor that uses the default floor finish doesn't have a finish flr anymore. I think that is how it works.

Unless I'm not following you Joey. that's very possible too.

Mickeytoo,

I hear you. how it works for me, basements come in as "Unspecified" room type.

It's one of those values that are hard-coded in Chief & no way that I know of to get that correct beforehand.

It's the same as  new flr clg hgts coming in at 97 1/8". no way to change that either- before the fact.

Chief has 3 room types w/out a finish floor- garage, porch & slab. Use them.

Gotta do it every time you build foundation.

if you leave auto build foundations on, you gotta live w/ it until you're ready to take over.

As soon as you have "4 walls" connected to form the basement, open the floor 0 dbx and remove the floor finish surface. Now for the rest of the time you are modifying floor 1, the flooring will be gone from floor 0 until you are ready to specify the flooring in the rooms formed in the basement. If the basement is to be unfinished, you will never have to look at that setting again.

Sounds like MickeyToo  wants to leave "auto rebuild foundation"  on, so that the basement/ foundation stays current w/1st flr walls abv.

"auto rebuild foundation" has to be disabled in order to remove the finish flr layer. You can't even got out of the basement room spec dbx after you've removed the finish floor layer w/out agreeing to disable "auto rebuild foundation" (if it was on to begin w/).

I don't see this as a problem. There are many, many times that there will be areas of the basement finished and areas unfinished. In order for the materials list to be as correct as possible, not to mention the stair data, those finished areas need to have the flooring accounted for. If the project is to have a completely unfinished basement, then this argument really has no merit....IMO....because a couple clicks (whether before or after adding the basement) is all it takes to rid the model and materials list of the flooring. 

Having the flooring there for the finished areas is important. If Chief were to change to no flooring by default, there would be a completely different list of users that would be complaining that they never have completely unfinished basements, and need for flooring to be there by default.

The only real solution...again, in my opinion, is possibly to have the option of flooring by foundation default after the walls reach 84" in height, but then again....what about the unfinished areas. You would have to go back and remove the flooring. Either way, we area adding and/or removing flooring from areas of the basement that require it.....which is exactly what I do now for nearly every project.

• Upvote 1

A great deal of the basements I do up here are completely unfinished; maybe a room or two is conditioned. So I would disable the finished flr layer by default in the basement if I could. 

A basement room type w/out a finished flr, room moldings & finished cl'g would be perfect & then  auto rebuild foundations can be left on longer & my floor camera will show what I want.  As soon as you assign most any room type (& disable auto rebuild....), you get a finished flr layer, etc automatically, so I'm not sure what the problem would be; but then again, I don't want a finished flr in the basement by default.

The ability to do that in the foundation defaults beforehand would keep us all happy. Choice is better than no choice.

I don't see this as a problem. There are many, many times that there will be areas of the basement finished and areas unfinished. In order for the materials list to be as correct as possible, not to mention the stair data, those finished areas need to have the flooring accounted for. If the project is to have a completely unfinished basement, then this argument really has no merit....IMO....because a couple clicks (whether before or after adding the basement) is all it takes to rid the model and materials list of the flooring. 

Having the flooring there for the finished areas is important. If Chief were to change to no flooring by default, there would be a completely different list of users that would be complaining that they never have completely unfinished basements, and need for flooring to be there by default.

The only real solution...again, in my opinion, is possibly to have the option of flooring by foundation default after the walls reach 84" in height, but then again....what about the unfinished areas. You would have to go back and remove the flooring. Either way, we area adding and/or removing flooring from areas of the basement that require it.....which is exactly what I do now for nearly every project.

Buttery, can't you understand what Joey is saying?