Building a wall on top of a roof

BnCKelley

4 minutes ago, BnCKelley said:

Good evening, what would be the proper way to build a wall on top of a sloping roof rafter. The wall will be an exterior, triangulated shape, of course, creating a live dormer on a roof. No wall underneath roof rafter. Thanks

Have you searched for dormer by chance?

When I first got the software I tried to play with that and couldn't figure it out but now that I've used this for a while, I might could get it to work. I'm really having a time figuring out how Chief treats and classifies the walls in gables above ceiling level and side walls on dormers. I'm getting the double triangulated humps and if I drag a wall over to cover a "hole" it'll keep projecting outward with the original roof plane and not drop down under the opposing plane once I get into that side. I may not be making since, it's late and I'm sleep deprived. Sorry. On the original issue the first suggestion of roof under wall worked. Thanks and have a good night. Feel free to enlighten and/or point me into the right direction for some reasoning on the higher & attic walls.

Gable ends will depend on how the wall and roof framing interact.  A good exercise for dormers is to place an auto dormer and if it works and looks correct, ( they are still a little erratic at times )  then go ahead and explode the dormer and take a look at the individual wall settings which will give you a good head start when the time comes that you need to build one manually.

You can always post a plan file and some noted screen shots for specific situations which help us help you. 

Why would a gable end wall split like this. Is it me or is the roof portion of Chief lacking? I have spent hours trying to cut this roof. I can't find rhyme or reason for what it does. Overhangs projecting 20' out to a point, planes all of the sudden splitting, the gable wall versus attic. Can anyone shed light or point me in a video direction?

20210106_195519.jpg

So redo these two dormers that I drew it in with separate walls as dormers using the command? I know nothing about the command especially bumping one out beyonda another. I'll try but this may be the death of me. Is there an easier way to deal with the roof lines? Like getting them to "trim" out around a dormer? And if I break a plane line, getting it to "rejoin" as 1? And why won't things stay locked? Can u tell I'm use to software that'll trim itself? Is there a way to get word to Chief to possibly redesign their roof portion of the software towards another for functionality? Just curious. Thanks

Explore the setting in WALL under the ROOF tab:  Lower wall type if split by adjoining roof.

Heck, explore all the things there in the WALL tab.

Then go explore all the stuff that is under the STRUCTURE tab.

So much to learn, so little time.