Menu bug

djhplanning

Anyone know what may cause the program to change the arrangement of my menus?  It seams like every other time I am opening a plan to work in Chief I will have one of my menus in a different place than when I left it last.  Then I have to move the menu to the normal place.  It's happened in more than one of my plan files.  Anyone have this ever happen to them and know what the problem may be or is this a technical issue that I should contact Chief technical support on?

19 minutes ago, solver said:

Chief has a single Menu Bar, located at the top of the window -- File, Edit, Build ...

Maybe you are asking about Toolbars?

Sorry Eric, I mean the icon toolbars, and I've also noticed the width of my library blower window changes from time to time as well.

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Might be due to the iMac and the zoom level.  I am using a Windows Desktop machine with multiple monitors but I seem to remember that working on a laptop with a just a single monitor results in those sort of problems sometimes.

Ok, thanks Joe.  it just started happening about 2 weeks ago and has never been a problem with the iMac before this.

It’s a Mac problem.  And will remain a problem forever since we probably don’t make up a big portion of Chief’s business. 
I’ve opened up tickets on two occasions for this. It was not resolved and I was led to believe this is not an issue ever experienced by anyone on the Chief staff who also use Macs, bla bla bla. 

For all you Mac users that don’t have this issue please refrain from commenting as you are not helping the rest of us. 

I’ve never seen any other software that has an issue with toolbars as Chief does. It’s maddening. 

Crickets from Chief expected. 

Ok, It’ll wait for the Chief fanboy downvote brigade in 3, 2, 1....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

40 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

For all you Mac users that don’t have this issue please refrain from commenting as you are not helping the rest of us. 

Crickets from Chief expected. 

I see you were successful with getting at least one downvote there so far.  But I think I saw it early on.  

I will be honest with you though I can understand why they are downvoting you since comments like this one probably make chief less likely to fix the infamous Mac toolbar issue which yes I have seen and struggle with sometimes as well. 

• Downvote 1

I don't do mac but just throwing something out there as you said it just started, and I am not aware of a CA update, but could it possibly be caused by an apple update??.

can you roll back the operating system to an earlier date? does this solve it?

If it just started, what has changed on your system? anything at all?

It appears Michael has had it for a while so what have you guys got in common if CA can't see it.

I had 20 years as an engineering trouble shooter and find it helps to pinpoint a common occurrence if possible. But it may just be that CA dont have it right for the mac as there seem to be a few bugs that don't seem to appear on windows machines.

Best of luck solving it.

7 hours ago, glennw said:

Yes, I have a mac and see this problem with the toolbars.

I run 2 monitors at different resolutions and as a wild guess, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the cause of the problem.

My exact suspicion as well as I have the same setup.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Might be due to the iMac and the zoom level.  I am using a Windows Desktop machine with multiple monitors but I seem to remember that working on a laptop with a just a single monitor results in those sort of problems sometimes.

Ok, thanks Joe.  it just started happening about 2 weeks ago and has never been a problem with the iMac before this.

13 hours ago, glennw said:

Yes, I have a mac and see this problem with the toolbars.

I run 2 monitors at different resolutions and as a wild guess, it wouldn't surprise me if that is the cause of the problem.

5 hours ago, rgardner said:

My exact suspicion as well as I have the same setup.

A couple examples of HELPFUL responses.  It makes sense to indicate my feelings as such with a couple upvotes.  Frankly, I’m curious who honestly finds any of the following helpful in any way and marked it at such...

17 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

It’s a Mac problem.  And will remain a problem forever....

....I was led to believe this is not an issue ever experienced by anyone on the Chief staff who also use Macs, bla bla bla. 

For all you Mac users that don’t have this issue please refrain from commenting....

....Crickets from Chief expected. 

You’re suggesting Chief is lying, doesn’t care if there’s a problem for a large portion of their user base, has no intention of fixing it, and that people should refrain from communicating their positive experiences (i.e. keep it negative or shut up).  And then, seemingly just to make sure you burn all your bridges, you go ahead and take a parting jab at anyone who doesn’t hold the same general disdain for Chief and who might like to help discourage potentially toxic and unhelpful responses with a downvote.   I for one think it’s probably a good idea Chief had the foresight to limit downvotes for unhelpful responses because I would have likely hit the button a few times for that one.  

• Upvote 7

I don’t have a Mac so I haven’t experienced any of these issues, but to those of you who are, please make sure to report to Chief.  My experience has always been that they DO care and they do fix problems that get reported in a usable way by enough people.  We need to report our problems though so that they can reproduce.  If they can’t reproduce or figure out what triggers the problem, they can’t fix it.  

Also, contrary to Michael’s Gia’s statement above, I l’ve never felt that Chief is hesitant to admit when there’s an issue.  I’ve reported probably 100’s of issues, many of which have been subsequently addressed and in almost all cases, they are quick to admit that they were able to confirm or reproduce the issue. If they can’t reproduce doesn’t mean they’re lying or don’t care, just that they haven’t been able to reproduce the same scenario.  Maybe they aren’t running multiple monitors and/or using multiple resolutions, maybe they don’t have your specific combination of software, hardware, and drivers, or maybe it’s just user error.  In any case, I assure you, Chief cares, they listen, and they fix issues that are reported by enough of us.  We all have to REPORT our issues though and in a useful way.  

• Upvote 4

Posting unprofessional and offensive posts on this forum doesn't actually help anyone.  I think Michael B's post does a really good job explaining why some posts are more helpful than others but I would like to add some more information to this thread.

This is a problem that we are aware of and actually care very much about even though it appears to be only affecting a very small number of users.  Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this problem in any sort of reliable way which means that we have been unsuccessful in all of our attempts to fix this.

If you are experiencing any problems with toolbars that are not staying where you have placed them, then please report this directly to our technical support team.  You will need to provide them with some very detailed information about your system and your toolbar setup (including giving them your actual toolbar files).  It would also be very helpful if you could try to determine what you are doing that causes you to lose your toolbar setup.  Things like switching monitor resolutions or changing your monitor setup or even changing your toolbar or open window configurations are the types of things we have been looking at as potential causes.  

We appreciate your continued patience and thank everyone who is willing to help us try to solve this problem.

• Upvote 4

Well at least I brought a bit of attention to this problem, finally. 

I’m sorry I had to be rude to Alaskan Son in order to do that. 

I hope he understands, it’s nothing personal. 

Ive been an SSA subscriber for 6+ years, which means I believe and love the product. 
This also gives me the right to rant about what I don’t like about it. 
After all this is a user forum, and I had something specific to relate to OP’s post. 
My goal was to let him know that this is a real issue and to give him some ammunition when dealing with Chief so that they don’t try and brush him off like they did to me. 

• Downvote 4

I remember this issue well, I reached out to our users on April 28, 2020 requesting more information so we could reproduce the problem in house, and we didn't get any of the details that I was asking for to help us help our users.  I was prepared to set up as similar of a system as I could find, had a dev engineer ready to help troubleshoot, and was ready to fully commit to reproducing the issue.  After no information was provided, I moved on to the next issue on my list.  Any forums I have ever been on when an internal engineer contacts me for additional information I am eager to provide whatever they need to help me out.  If we would have gotten that information we needed back then this issue would most likely have been fixed in that next update.

image.thumb.png.a914323448516fdf8a327690cfa84da4.png

• Upvote 2

Ed,

I haven't sent in a detailed bug report on this issue as the few times I have sat down and tried to reproduce it, I haven't been able to.

It's gets complicated quickly with all the variables and Ii just run out of time.

I have 2 monitors running at different resolutions.

No laptop, no docking station.

I float my library browser, library and project browser.

I dock my Edit toolbar at the top under my other toolbars.

Apart from that, I believe my system is standard.

I am happy to spend some time on this if you can give me some further guidance as to what to try.

Unfortunately I have deleted my custom toolbars and have reverted to using Reset Toolbars, as this has been the easiest way for me to continue without the hassle of dealing with corrupted toolbars.   

Thanks Glenn,

What I need to start is the exact resolution of each monitor, dpi, scaling, etc.  Then which one is your primary monitor, what windows of chief are running on each monitor, a copy of your toolbars and the layout you have, side windows, which ones are displayed, where are they, docked, floating, then what are you doing when you notice them getting messed up.  Are you sending stuff to layout, are you opening views, anything that can help us help you would be great.  Screen pics are great to give me an idea of your window layout.

Ed,

Primary monitor is the built in retina 5K, 27" display running unscaled and using default for display at 5120x2880.

Second monitor is an Acer KA242Y running scaled at 1600x900.

Radeon Pro 575 4GB.

I don't think I have changed (90% sure) these since the problems started - I definitely haven't changed the retina display.

My Edit toolbar is docked at the top under my other toolbars.

I float the library, project browser and preferences.

I quite often drag those 3 windows and/or the main Chief window onto the second monitor.

I am pretty sure it isn't associated with sending views to layout, but I will keep that in mind and look out for it.

It seems to a novice that once moving the main Chief window to the second monitor and then back to the higher dpi main monitor, the toolbars run out of room horizontally and they continue horizontally off the screen - as well as other anomalies.

I will try and recreate the problem while things are slow and forward any info to you.

It may take a little while as I will have to start from scratch by creating some new toolbars and go through all the permutations.

56 minutes ago, Chief_QA said:

If we would have gotten that information we needed back then this issue would most likely have been fixed in that next update.

That's great to hear.  The problem is how sporadic and arbitrary this is as a problem.  I do know that, as the post you displayed mentions, it must have something to do with two monitors at two different resolutions.  This was info I had provided in the ticket I had opened up.  

What is even more troubling is that OP in this post is working from a single iMac with no external monitor, so I would start by trying to solve the problem from that vantage point first.

For what it's worth, below is my monitor set up.

I experience more menu shuffling/disappearing when my "Active Layer Display" window is open on one monitor and the plans open on the other.  I've begrudgingly learned to live without having that window open but the problem persists albeit slightly less often.  

I also try not to have a layout open until I really need to since this also almost guarantees menu issues after a short spell.

1258754727_ScreenShot2021-01-05at6_22_08PM.thumb.png.316762677e6203f205acbb9b2d987239.png

• Downvote 1