Menu bug

djhplanning

I have been experiencing this option with Windows Animations turned Off and the Library Window not even open, let alone docked or undocked. Simply by dragging a 3rd or 4th tab to the second screen (all into the same window) and bang. Screen Zoom is set to 125%. Doesn't seem to matter if Chief has been opened 2 hours or 2 days. Last time it appeared to occur after a floor plan, elevation, full camera, then floor plan - !!! Plan, elevation, full camera menus all effected. Plans' went to upper left corner, the rest went to single line with submenues condenced.

13 hours ago, KTKArch said:

I have been experiencing this option with Windows Animations turned Off

I've been running with Animations turned OFF for almost a month now and it doesn't seem to make any difference on my setup; the menus still go crazy at times. I still haven't been able to find the "trigger," but there must be one.

Again- trying to get some direction from CA on this-

Has anyone gotten anywhere?

I see several posts discussing X13 beta and release timing but it appears we still have a fairly significant issue with the current version. And as I mentioned I an earlier post- I don't think being required to pay for an upgrade is a reasonable solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up-

Toolbars whacked out again- 

Unless I am missing something I have not seen any progress from anyone reporting or posting about this issue?

I will send another report to tech support but the apparent lack of effort from CA to communicate any progress on this is downright pathetic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

....I have not seen any progress from anyone reporting or posting about this issue?

....the apparent lack of effort from CA to communicate any progress on this is downright pathetic.

I've personally sent in literally hundreds of unique requests and bug reports and aside from instances where Chief needs some additional information or clarification, I basically never hear from them again on the subject and only know they've been working on it when I see it in an update or new release.  I don't think this is unreasonable either.  I don't expect them to keep everyone updated.  I sure as $#!+ wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input Michael-

While I understand that CA can't keep everyone updated on every issue I don't think it is too much to ask that hey respond with progress here.

This is an issue that causes great disruption in productivity and in turn costs money to myself and other users that are experiencing the same problem.

At one point Ed from CA was responding and I assumed that meant that CA had someone that was working on a resolution - seems reasonable to me to expect an update from them.

Just now, RL-inc said:

At one point Ed from CA was responding and I assumed that meant that CA had someone that was working on a resolution - seems reasonable to me to expect an update from them.

I suspect he (possibly mistakenly) made a special exception because of how heated the conversation had become.  Chief normally does not respond that way and I really don't think they should either.  It's not fair to the hundreds if not thousands of other issues waiting in the queue that many people find far more important than this one.  

By no means do I expect that any issue that is specific to me should take precedent over anyone else- 

It did however seem to me that this particular problem had affected the productivity of enough of us that CA had made it a priority.

Maybe I misread the responses I was seeing.

I have reached out to tech support again and will post any information I get 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of follow up from tech support for those of us still experiencing this or similar issue.

Hope it helps

As I mentioned, our developers are able to reproduce the problem more often now (not consistently but definitely more often), which is a great help as we weren’t able to do so prior to your submittal of your toolbars folders. Thank you so much for sticking with us through this.

It appears that the problem is related to timing and not any particular action which is why we’ve had so much trouble reproducing the problem. Unfortunately, this means it will not be a simple thing to fix and will likely not be in a patch to X12. We’ll certainly try to get it there, but it might not happen.

Here are a couple of thoughts from our testing team that might help reduce the frequency of the problem. Please let me know if they help at all.

- Remove any spaces in the toolbars
- Leave a Chief window open on the secondary monitor so that it doesn’t have to create the window later. It feels like the problem happens more often when Chief is creating the window than when views are added.

Carrie

53 minutes ago, RL-inc said:

Leave a Chief window open on the secondary monitor so that it doesn’t have to create the window later.

I almost always have the 2nd window open in CA when the toolbars go crazy. I usually have several tabs already open and available as I work (plan views, camera views and sections or CAD details), but usually only two open views at a time; one on one monitor and another open on the 2nd monitor.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I almost always have the 2nd window open in CA when the toolbars go crazy.

Same here.  One of the reasons I added a second monitor was so I could have the Layer Display Options window open at all times.

I can’t have that most useful window open anymore because of the menu bar bug. 

I don’t think there’s been much research by tech support on this topic.  Sorry I’m not buying it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Strictly based on timing I doubt we will see any resolution in X12-

Makes me wonder a few things:

-Why this is such an issue so late in the release of this version. Was I just not happening before in X12 and now it has popped up?

And if so what changed?

-If it has been an issue in X12 all along why not patch to fix it then.

-What set up or setting are some of the real power users like Michael, Scott, Eric, Joey, etc...... using that has prevented this issue?

I can't imagine them putting up with this for very long.

To put a bow on it I guess we just wait until X13 and hope we don't have to deal with it <_< 

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

Update-

Talked with Carrie at CA and she has passed on my toolbar files to her developers.

After that they had been to recreate the issue but only on occasion and with no consistent contributing factors.

She did say that the issue had not come up in X13 and was hopeful that they had it fixed.

I requested that I be offered some sort of credit on my X13 SSA renewal based on the fact I have been forced to work with a defective version of X12.

Carrie stated that their policy is not structured to do that but as mentioned the issue appears to be resolved in X13.

I replied that I wanted to be clear on what CA's response was....."I am supposed to spend 500.00 on an upgrade to a version that has fixed a problem I have had to deal with in the current version I spent 500.00 to upgrade to"

Carrie agreed that I had a full and accurate grasp of the situation.

Full disclosure-

I am very happy with CA overall and this is really the first issue I have had that I don't feel was handled fairly by CA.

I was very transparent with Carrie about it and told her I would be expressing my opinions here.

Yes, this is a persistent problem with X12 and it happens so frequently that it makes that version just about unusable for me.

I have worked out that the only way I can work in X12 is to reset the migration settings.

So that after the toolbars all go haywire, I migrate my toolbars from X11.

I can't reload the X12 toolbars easily because they all get corrupted and overwritten.

Far from perfect.

• Upvote 2

Weird, I've only had toolbars freak about half a dozen times in X12

After the second time I made a backup copy of my custom toolbars saved in a remote location. Every time after that, I delete the corrupted file, copy and move the saved copy into place, and all is well again.

Toolbars haven't spazzed on me in a couple months.

I am having a new PC created right now so I am using my PC laptop and I do experience where the menus are off screen causing me to have to move the entire interface to the right to access them. I have only seen this on my laptop, not my desktop. I use two monitors with either set up. I have no idea what causes it or how to make it stop. I just cope with it and it seems to go away by itself. It may be an OS thing or hardware, I haven't a clue. I do not blame anyone or thing, I just deal with it and drive on.

DJP

17 hours ago, dshall said:

I think someone once said it was due to the Mac computer and then throw in dual monitors .....  I gave up on tool bars years ago so I  rely on hot keys .

14 hours ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Both Rob and I are on PC's and have the problems.

And I'm on Mac and rarely have an issue

I also use two monitors, have the pallettes detached, and move windows between monitors all the time.... the things that people are guessing causes this

5 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

And I'm on Mac and rarely have an issue

I also use two monitors, have the pallettes detached, and move windows between monitors all the time.... the things that people are guessing causes this

It just happened to me an hour ago.  First time in weeks if not months.  I had so reset toolbars in prefs and all is well.

Not sure what I did but I am sure you are correct,  it was probably something I did.