Menu bug

djhplanning

1 hour ago, glennw said:

Ed,

I haven't sent in a detailed bug report on this issue as the few times I have sat down and tried to reproduce it, I haven't been able to.

It's gets complicated quickly with all the variables and Ii just run out of time.

I have 2 monitors running at different resolutions.

No laptop, no docking station.

I float my library browser, library and project browser.

I dock my Edit toolbar at the top under my other toolbars.

Apart from that, I believe my system is standard.

I am happy to spend some time on this if you can give me some further guidance as to what to try.

Unfortunately I have deleted my custom toolbars and have reverted to using Reset Toolbars, as this has been the easiest way for me to continue without the hassle of dealing with corrupted toolbars.   

1 hour ago, Chief_QA said:

Thanks Glenn,

What I need to start is the exact resolution of each monitor, dpi, scaling, etc.  Then which one is your primary monitor, what windows of chief are running on each monitor, a copy of your toolbars and the layout you have, side windows, which ones are displayed, where are they, docked, floating, then what are you doing when you notice them getting messed up.  Are you sending stuff to layout, are you opening views, anything that can help us help you would be great.  Screen pics are great to give me an idea of your window layout.

Same setup here and I shared all of this in a report about a month ago.  Received for the second time we are unable to reproduce.  Possibly these details are not being forwarded?

Ed,

I have been playing around a bit and can duplicate the toolbar problem - but only occasionally.

I will keep trying.

This is just a bit of a rave as things come up.

Do we need to move this subject to a different thread or is it OK to continue here?

At one stage I thought the problem maybe related to having an imperial plan opened at the same time as my metric plans - but nothing repeatable.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the wonky toolbar definitions are saved and remain wonky so that you cannot just change back to the original definition.

One thing that I have noticed is that the toolbars can move around when you have 2 plans open, which use different layer set names, different default dimension names or different default set names. I especially run into this when I open some one else's plan that may have longer names for these items in the dropdown box. A long name can push all the tools along to the right (sometimes off the screen) as you switch from one plan to the other. 

Another thing I noticed after Reseting Toolbars was this tool bar titled Time Tracker.

It contains a couple of Plan View tools that don't work, along with some other tools that look like they don't belong there.

There are duplicate Plan View tools in their own toolbar that do work.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.05.21 pm.jpg

• Upvote 1

I recently set up a new Windows laptop and adjusted my toolbars (removed icons) to fit the laptop screen (3240x2160, scaling 200%). 

Working on the Windows desktop, I moved a few more icons to the side bar to shorten the length. (2560x1440,Scaling 125%)

Now my toolbars are moving on a very regular basis.  

I think switching to the layout file (different toolbars) triggered the problem yesterday. (Per Glenn's observation)

11 hours ago, glennw said:

Ed,

I have been playing around a bit and can duplicate the toolbar problem - but only occasionally.

I will keep trying.

This is just a bit of a rave as things come up.

Do we need to move this subject to a different thread or is it OK to continue here?

At one stage I thought the problem maybe related to having an imperial plan opened at the same time as my metric plans - but nothing repeatable.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the wonky toolbar definitions are saved and remain wonky so that you cannot just change back to the original definition.

One thing that I have noticed is that the toolbars can move around when you have 2 plans open, which use different layer set names, different default dimension names or different default set names. I especially run into this when I open some one else's plan that may have longer names for these items in the dropdown box. A long name can push all the tools along to the right (sometimes off the screen) as you switch from one plan to the other. 

Another thing I noticed after Reseting Toolbars was this tool bar titled Time Tracker.

It contains a couple of Plan View tools that don't work, along with some other tools that look like they don't belong there.

There are duplicate Plan View tools in their own toolbar that do work.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.05.21 pm.jpg

Glenn, that is very helpful information.  I am planning on looking at this in the afternoon, I have a few more things to get done before I can get to this issue.  We can just use this thread for now.  Are you using the oob toolbars or a custom configuration?

On 1/5/2021 at 9:17 PM, glennw said:

I run into this occasionally on my Windows machine too ...it usually happens when I open another Users Chief Plan , so Glenn maybe onto something there,

I now always have my Toolbars Locked but things can still get wonky on occasion.

M.

Ed,

I just got it to happen as well.

I have the toolbars unlocked.

I went back over what I thought was the cause, bit couldn't duplicate the problem.

I was dragging the Chief window to the second smaller monitor and then playing around with double clicking in the title bar to expand the window.

I then messed with View>Enter Full Screen.

I can't remember if I double clicked the title bar or not.

I then dragged the window back to the main monitor and made the Chief window full screen.

The horizontal toolbars were wonky.

They seem to be remembering the width of the smaller monitor and not rearranging themselves on the different larger monitor.

I will keep playing during the day.  

47 minutes ago, Chief_QA said:

Good news, I got it to happen.  Now if I can just do it again.

Had it happen this afternoon and I looked exactly what I was doing.  I had a plan file, two camera views, a cad detail and the layout file I was working on open.  Had my ALDO, LB, & PB open on smaller LG Ultrawide 2560x1080 screen main window on my Samsung curved 32" set at 1080p.  Randomly it seems as I was working back and forth all day in this file sending different details and plans to layout for a commercial job when I would click on the layout tab it would happen.  75% of the time it would fix when I dragged ALDO back to main screen.

Ed,

Is it possible that once this happens once, the toolbar configuration is overwritten and this then prevents it from happening again using the same toolbar configuration - and this is why it is hard to duplicate in the same Chief session using the same toolbar configuration?     

6 minutes ago, glennw said:

Ed,

Is it possible that once this happens once, the toolbar configuration is overwritten and this then prevents it from happening again using the same toolbar configuration - and this is why it is hard to duplicate in the same Chief session using the same toolbar configuration?     

Glenn, I don't know at this point yet.  I was also able to reproduce it on my PC, the first time was on a mac.  Both times it happened I was opening a new plan.  My toolbars were locked, I added the layerset and dimension default controls to them, and working in both monitors going back and forth with the side windows floating.  I think the floating side windows is the key, at least for me.  This last time I had just gone into the library browser then went back to the primary monitor did a new plan and bam.

That looks like a different problem (or different variation) that I have occasionally seen.

Is this the same as you got last time.

I thought the problem we are looking at is when the toolbars display OK.

But the they run out of horizontal room and get mixed up.

What you posted looks different again.

While playing around just now, I got an error message saying my edit toolbar was corrupted and the edit menu would not display - I haven't seen that before.

While playing around with this menu problem I came across a cause of apparent tool bar corruption that may explain some users complaints of jumping tool bars.

The drop down controls like Saved Plan View Control, Active Dimension Defaults Control, Active Layer Set Control and Active Default Set Control are sized to take the longest name in the list - even if that long name is not being used.

This works on a per plan basis, so that if, in one plan, you have only short names, the drop down control will not be very wide.

If you have at least 1 long name in another plan, the drop down control will be as wide as the longest name in the drop down control, even if a short name is displaying.

If you open the 2 plans and switch between them, the overall toolbar widths will change according to the width of the drop down controls - they sometimes run out of room on the right hand side.

This will look like the toolbars are jumping around - well..they are, because the toolbars are changing width to accommodate the different widths of the drop down controls.  

• Upvote 1

I got this by changing my monitor from Scaled to Default For Display and then View Full Screen.

I had the Active Layer Display dbx floating on the second monitor and when I dragged it back to the Chief window on the main monitor, all the toolbars reappeared and the screen looked normal.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 12.06.20 pm.jpg

1 hour ago, glennw said:

I got this by changing my monitor from Scaled to Default For Display and then View Full Screen.

I had the Active Layer Display dbx floating on the second monitor and when I dragged it back to the Chief window on the main monitor, all the toolbars reappeared and the screen looked normal.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 12.06.20 pm.jpg

That works 3/4 the time.

• 1 month later...

NOW I HAVE NO TOOLBARS!

I have to chime in here. I have been using the same system for five years. In that time I have experienced toolbar issues 2-4 times on X10 and first install of X12. I use two 40" hdtvs (Samsung & Naxa) at the same 1080p resolution. Both are directly linked to my laptop, a Sager 6700K w/ gtx970m. Then, after installing the latest update to X12 in very early January 2021, I have joined the toolbar blowup team. It happens when I have CA on both screens, often when moving a 'tab view' to the second screen. Usually a 3D view vs a plan. Closing CA or Opening another file might reset them but more often than not I had to reset them manually. Trying to select a custom saved toolbar config or any for that matter didn't work. It's been a frustrating week with this happening many times a day and more frequently once it starts. I have even had it happen within the same drawing file on the two screens but not in a second drawing file from a different project that was also opened at the same time.

Tonight, it started (crunched up in the left top corner) on the second screen first, right after dragging a 3D view there. As soon as I selected something in the first screen (samsung) it blew up there as well. Soon there were no toolbars and nothing would bring them back. Tried: Closing the file. Resetting Toolbar defaults. Choosing saved Toolbars. Loading latest CA update. Opening in user and in Administrator mode. Running repair on CA. Deleting and reinstalling CA. Each time I'm confronted with the "reinstall should fix it" dialog box. It didn't. I even tried copying in X11's toolbars as the X12 toolbars directory is empty. Same thing and after closing the DB, I watched as it wiped the X12 toolbars directory clean...again. NOW I HAVE NO TOOLBARS!

Last WIN 10 update was a few weeks before it started, but it may have updated in the background recently. I have in the last two weeks updated many drivers via AVG's tuneup program but this was in response to the first times it happened.

So out of desperation I "Reset Preferences" and I'm now seeing & working with the default toolbar menu. Which came back in the typical wonky format of everything pushed to the right, on just two lines, compressed and unlocked. This was the case with both the Layout and Plan files.

Aside: I will say that the update after 'reinstall' went smoother than expected and it found everything else "where I left it"

Toolbars.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jumping in because I am having the same issue.

I upgraded to X12 a month or so ago and had it happen a couple times but finally got toolbars set up the way I liked and locked.

No issues until yesterday- then similar story to what others have noted.

Plan and Layout open with a couple 3d views - drag one 3d view to 2nd monitor and toolbars on 1st monitor crunch to upper right corner with limited tools showing.

I have read through the posts above an it sounds like we have the "A" team working on the issue at this point so I will keep an eye on the progress.

If it happens again I will try and capture a screen shot of the display and post - please let me know if there is any other information I can provide that may help.

Much appreciated

• Upvote 1

Ok just happened again.

Just opened a new layout file and set it up for a job - then drug it to adjacent monitor and original plan screen toolbar tweaked our- see attached screen shot.

Has tech support had any luck with this-

Hard to be productive when you have to rebuild toolbars all the time :angry:

Screenshot 2021-02-20 113101.png

• Upvote 1