Wynsong

UNDOLAYOUT file type

CA 12 hung while I was working on a plan.  I had to open the task manager and stop CA. Looks like I lost everything I had done this afternoon.  I've looked in the archives and at the bak-ups and they are all in a state earlier than the hang.  I looked at all possible files under the client name on the C:  drive.  In addition to the files had had already looked out there were some UNDOLAYOUT files that look to be at the right time and the right size to be the files I'm looking to recover.  I found these files under C:USERS/LEARO/LOCAL/TEMP.  I've tried opening them with CA but nothing happens.  Does anyone know if and how these could be recovered?   Thank you.  I do have a .pdf of the work I did all afternoon so I do have a record of what I need to reconstruct.  But that's two or three hours work that would be nice to not have to do. 

Thanks,  Cathy

I am sorry for your loss. This last happened to me back in 1999. Since then, what I did to avoid such future losses is to NEVER depend solely on "Auto Save" settings. I manually save every few seconds while I work ("F3" key or "CTRL Key & S-Key" usually). Another thing that I have observed in myself and others is that such events are always end user caused , how? By leaving loose ends while working; they add up to trouble if the habit is not changed by the end user. Thoroughly learn the software and its intended, procedures, conventions being completely methodical and double-triple checking settings and conditions as you work. Doing this above means that when I get a crash, the most I loose is 10 to 20 seconds  of work. When you manually save you are taking control of your work instead of depending upon automaticity's that are sometimes weak and unreliable. Take full responsibility for what you do while and when you do it for a happier life is my advice.

DJP

6 hours ago, Wynsong said:

CA 12 hung while I was working on a plan.  I had to open the task manager and stop CA. Looks like I lost everything I had done this afternoon.  I've looked in the archives and at the bak-ups and they are all in a state earlier than the hang.  I looked at all possible files under the client name on the C:  drive.  In addition to the files had had already looked out there were some UNDOLAYOUT files that look to be at the right time and the right size to be the files I'm looking to recover.  I found these files under C:USERS/LEARO/LOCAL/TEMP.  I've tried opening them with CA but nothing happens.  Does anyone know if and how these could be recovered?   Thank you.  I do have a .pdf of the work I did all afternoon so I do have a record of what I need to reconstruct.  But that's two or three hours work that would be nice to not have to do. 

Thanks,  Cathy

UNDOPlans and Layout files are normally deleted when Chief closes normally and are unreadable as far as I know afterwards, if anyone could help it would be Chief's Tech Support, though I am not sure even if they are able to do it, you'd have to call or start a Tech Support case to confirm.

M.

Thank you both for your replies.   I went ahead and reconstructed what I had lost,  Since I had a .pdf of what I had done, it really didn't take that long.  At least my client was happy. 

Cheers,  Cathy