Square footage not displaying

mpatalsky

Run "Plan Check" (Tools - Checks - Plan Check") while on the floor that is missing it's "LIVING AREA" display. Running that check will restore it to view per floor. All answers to all questions reside in your Reference Manual, Help files, or the Chief Architect Website - Knowledge Base. Learning where and when to look is a large part of becoming competent.

DJP

I found the frustration of others through the search.  Plan check did not solve the problem.  I ended up using a text macro to solve it.  Weird why it appears to be happening within the past few months. Thanks

21 hours ago, mpatalsky said:

yeah I did it on each floor I was having the issue with no luck.  I read someone else had my same luck with it not working.

I believe it uses Room Definition and the Condition Space Living Space setting in the Room's DBX since it is "Living Area"  so if either of those conditions is compromised it may not work.

I think @Dermot   posted about this recently , so maybe he can elaborate more for you....

M.

On floor 2, all your rooms are defined as Exclude from Total Living Area Calculation.

Change them to Include in Total Living Area Calculation.

Do a Plan Check to display the Living Area.

I believe it uses Room Definition and the Condition Space setting since it is "Living Area"

Living Area uses the Living Area property, not the Conditioned Room property.

19 hours ago, Doug_N said:

Not sure if I have captured the problem because I couldn't reproduce it, but I took a swing at answering a possible cause.

Sorry Doug I was unclear, it's the Living Area. It's only displayed on the first floor. My only fix was to at a text macro to calculate it. Thanks for you time.

16 hours ago, glennw said:

On floor 2, all your rooms are defined as Exclude from Total Living Area Calculation.

Change them to Include in Total Living Area Calculation.

Do a Plan Check to display the Living Area.

Living Area uses the Living Area property, not the Conditioned Room property.

Yes I caught that after I uploaded the file and corrected that and ran plan check with no success.

Finally got a chance to open the Plan and have a look , was working from memory yesterday, and Plan Check works on the 2nd floor but not the basement level ( no errors) once the include in Living Area Calculation box is checked in all rooms...

Maybe worth sending in as even after I removed all interior doors in the basement , and the bathroom not having a Fan ( or window) yet should have triggered a Plan Check Error ( multiple really) ,  at least those conditions on others floors normally do.

image.thumb.png.68176eeb55b6b82163ebab66d2779b39.pngimage.thumb.png.02b52e3b630ff513a6d430ef5da09977.pngimage.thumb.png.e2de643dd88f832abc16f6c16a954061.png  

4 hours ago, mpatalsky said:

Sorry Doug I was unclear, it's the Living Area. It's only displayed on the first floor. My only fix was to at a text macro to calculate it. Thanks for you time.

Mike

You're are entirely welcome. it was a fun exercise anyway.   Glad the answer was found for the problem.

Doug

I think basement levels are always a little weird, both with regard to the Living Area label and with regard to the Plan Check tool.  At any rate, you can trick Chief into giving you back your Living Area Label on Floor 0 by enclosing a little room off to the side that is completely separate from the rest of the structure.  Now connect that room to the existing structure with a connecting wall.  Now simply delete all those new walls. 

What's really happening is that you're tricking Chief into recognizing a new Living Area and therefore generating a new Living Area Label.  When you draw the connecting wall, Chief considers them both part of the same structure and includes both areas in the total.  Deleting the extra walls just deletes that one room and the new label stays.

• Like 2

you can trick Chief into giving you back your Living Area Label on Floor 0 by enclosing a little room off to the side that is completely separate from the rest of the structure.  Now connect that room to the existing structure with a connecting wall.  Now simply delete all those new walls. 

Michael:

Nice workaround

I sure hope CA fixes this newbie trap soon

Lew

• 1 year later...