vaulting main floor with 1.5 story/bonus room

mazakintegrex

Happy new year to all!

Got a question: 

Designing a ranch home for my family.  Vaulting living room & master suite.  added a future bonus room over the garage on derived 2nd story.  When unchecking "flat ceiling over the room" box under structure tab in the 1st story rooms to vault, its not removing the 2nd story floor above that room (which I tried setting 2nd story attic ceiling heights to 1.5", 0", & 97.125" ceiling height with no avail)

when unchecking "floor under this room" on 2nd fl dialog, it removes all the ceilings on the first floor.

What is the correct procedure for accomplishing this? 

I know it will do it, I feel like I have before-- just having one of those moments 

zipped & attached the file if anyone cares to advise 

thank you

o7

V3.66.zip

11 minutes ago, solver said:

General advice -- don't expect the program to do everything for you.

To expand on this comment: Chief is potentially helpful but ONLY if you have learned how to guide it to a desired result. It really does nothing by itself. The key is to really look at (confront) the dialogs, Default Settings, Check Boxes and input Boxes for it is all of that that adds up to success or failure. Then there is 3D Geometry as in your posted image or screen capture. The apparent unwanted edges are the undersides of roof planes that you ordered to be there, the software just does what you knowingly or unknowingly ordered, so the problem is rarely Chief Architect Premier, but 99% of the time it is your own lack of competence in guiding it to a result. I am NOT singling you out, we all of us, have had to mount the learning curve but it is worth suffering, keep it up.

DJP

18 hours ago, solver said:

Make one of the 2nd floor walls No Room Definition

woah tough crowd.  when I chose no room definition for a 2nd floor wall like solver said, it allowed the room to vault.  bingo. great!  upon vaulting, the software created these attic walls in the rooms I chose to vault.  I was only asking if this is correct or not.  by selecting the wall & choosing balloon through ceiling above, made it go away, or normal looking.  I was merely asking, if that was the correct option to cure what occurred by choosing no room definition.  I think if you opened up my plan & looked at it, you would see I haven't expected the software to tuck me in at night..  the software is great I love it.  I'm not suggesting software error, or smacking it at all.  I thought this was a Q&A forum to ask experienced users chief related questions.  I did not knowingly order the attic wall to appear there, I'm trying to order it to go away, or just ask someone who may easily know, is this wall normal? should it be there, should it be ignored, is balloon thru ceiling the right or wrong medicine, will it kill the structural integrity of the wall, or maybe to just ignore it, making mountains out of moleholes.  I appreciate your support.  I've learned a great deal by watching both your yt videos & previous roof suggestions & kb is on point.