Rotating an object

MN_JohnH

I am wondering if it is possible to rotate an object around different axis's?
The attached file is a door I drew using poly line solids and moldings. It is laying flat and I would like to rotate it so that it is standing up. In other words looking at it from a side elevation, I would like to rotate it 90 degrees. This does not seem possible in the transform replicate box or just using rotate handles. It looks like I could rotate the the polyline solid but not the moldings and not when I combine them into a block.

Thanks

screen door 1.plan

Just now, MN_JohnH said:

I am wondering if it is possible to rotate an object around different axis's?
The attached file is a door I drew using poly line solids and moldings. It is laying flat and I would like to rotate it so that it is standing up. In other words looking at it from a side elevation, I would like to rotate it 90 degrees. This does not seem possible in the transform replicate box or just using rotate handles.

Thanks

screen door 1.plan

Easier in x12, but can you open the symbol and change the rotation?

You first need to convert this to a symbol. Select the entire door and right click, click on 'Convert Selected to Symbol' at the bottom of the box. Once you have done this, select the symbol and then click on the symbol editing bottom at the bottom of your screen (usually 3rd in from the left). Use the rotation commands in the DBX. Check out this article from the Knowledge Base:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01021/editing-a-symbol-s-rotation.html

It would still be nice if I didn't have to make it a symbol to rotate it like this. I can rotate a polyline solid from different angles but having the molding in there seems to make it impossible. Is there a way to turn the molding into a poly line solid? Then I could join them together and work with it without making it a symbol.

20 hours ago, solver said:

I did not look at your plan, but instead of drawing a door in plan view, draw it in an elevation view -- no rotating needed.

I have several door building videos on my YouTube channel.

Thank you, I will look at these

On 1/5/2021 at 6:46 AM, solver said:

I did not look at your plan, but instead of drawing a door in plan view, draw it in an elevation view -- no rotating needed.

I personally disagree and prefer drawing my door panels in plan view.  You get a lot more usable snaps that way, have the advantage of being able to work with regular molding polylines rather than 3D molding polylines, and you can use the height attributes to more methodically set the location of your various components in the Z direction.