Room Ceiling Height Label as a Separate Layer

designergy

Hello,

This is more of a curiosity than an issue.  I am trying to learn where layers such as "Rooms,Interior Area" receive their instructions from with the goal of creating an independent layer for the Ceiling Height macro as its own layer.  This would allow me to have the ceiling heights generated automatically by room and have that layer just switched on in certain plan views.  If I just add it in to the text of the Room Label in default settings, I do not get layer control of just the ceiling height (that I am aware of).

I understand how to manually add a ceiling height text box macro in each room (which does allow me layer control).  I just had the thought that one might be able to create an independent layer that looks at each room in the same manner as how I think I understand the "Rooms, Interior Area" and "Rooms, Interior Dimensions" layers behave so this is automatically done.

Thanks in advance : )

I think the closest you can get is with custom text macros set to report different text depending on either the layer_set or the settings thereof.  Aside from that though, my personal opinion is that text boxes are the way to go.  I find that copying and pasting text boxes with the appropriate macros results in a lot more flexibility and is a lot quicker and easier to customize and control on a room by room and situation by situation basis. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I think the closest you can get is with custom text macros set to report different text depending on either the layer_set or the settings thereof.  Aside from that though, my personal opinion is that text boxes are the way to go.  I find that copying and pasting text boxes with the appropriate macros results in a lot more flexibility and is a lot quicker and easier to customize and control on a room by room and situation by situation basis. 

Yes, and I have several such stored in my User Library - Folder = "My Room Labels" - including one that has the Room number and Name.  There are other's that display various dimensional and finish information.  Most of the macros can also be used in Custom Schedules.

14 minutes ago, designergy said:

I hadn't thought of saving them in the library as I usually just create one and then copy and paste.  Thank you!

You need to "Block" the Text Box in order to add it to the Library.  I know I asked CA to make it possible to add a Text Box (including Rich Text) directly without Blocking but I don't know if that will get into X13 or not.

• Upvote 1