Library Organization

RobUSMC

Does anyone create a new folder in their user library to keep just the materials and possible symbols that has been added just for a single client project. These would possibly be items that I don't want to permanently keep in my library.  I have three designers and each may add materials, I figured placing all these materials in a client specific folder would help keep us better organized.  I have our master library on One Drive and linked / synced to all our computers but wanted to make it easy for anyone looking for a material for a particular project they can just go to that client folder in the user library.  If a material seems to be one we may use again we can then move it to a permanent folder and the others not be used in a final plan would just be deleted from the library.  See attached.

Thanks

Rob 

Client Plan Material Selections.jpg

I guess you could do so but it seems a bit redundant as within each plan you can open up the material DBX and see this information at least for the materials. Personally I only use the user library for my most frequently used items or as a temporary type of cache if I want to use the replace from library tool or when I need to convert an imperial object from a former plan to metric in another. The other issue of course is that overtime your user library is going to become enormous with all those folders and sub-folders.

Yeah, started doing that a while ago when doing kitchens when I kept all the likely options they had in mind.

Now my clients are all repeaters so I keep a per client folder where current project folder lives then an archive per client. I like to set defaults that are likely to change from there since I hate rummaging the entire library. I keep the currently used client/project at the top of the tree. To do that I add 3 spaces to the front of the name.

image.thumb.png.ca5e60fdab70a679e13959d9a02a674d.png

When switching to another project change what is at the top. Since I use per client templates and the defaults are set to this folder I always use 3 spaces to front so the software finds the folder ( and I can remember three :)

Like you I use the user library as much as possible and some things in there go away after the job, others are saved to the client archive. In the process of moving machines so housecleaning 10 yrs of stuff as I can get to it.