Frameless Shower Walls

ARCBC30

Everyone,

I am trying to create a frameless glass shower wall and door inside a what is essentially a cased opening into an enclosed shower. I have attached a couple of photos to try to explain what i am trying to accomplish. I have tried many different ways to accomplish this and cant quite get it to work like i want it. It seems the best way may be to create the glass walls using the primitive polyline tool. i am able to draw the polyline but cannot get it to locate inside the cased opening. I can place it to one side or the other of the wall but not the centered on the wall in the opening. The model shows pretty much what i want but the glass panes located in the cased opening- not to the inside.  I am also open to a totally different method of doing this if I am barking up the wrong tree.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am attaching some explanatory photos and a link to the plan in dropbox if you would like to view it. everyone has been so helpful here - i cant thank you guys enough.

The Model

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b98zl3o5qyxg4p7/AAAws06LgE1t58M4y_Dk6OgFa?dl=0

post-3194-0-60600800-1416531778_thumb.png

post-3194-0-67631700-1416531792_thumb.png

You have the best solution by using solids for making a glass door inside of a doorway.

Draw your glass in 2d view where it will wind up on the back wall of the shower after it's converted to a solid.

Take a look at the attached plan. Notice how I locked the wall and door layers so that you can grab the solid in plan view and force it into position inside the doorway.

Polyline solids and moldings are the way to go everytime you have a unique condition.

Untitled 1.zip

post-77-0-74259200-1416540226_thumb.jpg

I will differ from Val on this one.

1.  Create a "Solid Railing Wall" using a 3/8" thick Glass Wall Type just outside of the Shower.

2.  Make this wall "No Room Definition" and "No Locate".

3.  Insert a Doorway and then make that a "Solid Door" (3/8" thick glass) with no Casings and No Frame.

4.  Adjust the railing height and the door height.

5.  Slide the railing wall into the opening.

• Upvote 1

Yet I do it differently
I use a glass shower wall ( in wall def lib.) with (no locate, not checked)
Add a glass shower door (In lib.) modify to suit.

Set floor and ceiling materials to what you want.

Use a p-solid for the curb.

Use the "Wall material region" tool for the walls.

@ arcb, now that you have some good solutions for the digital world, I am with Sherry on this one. Are you really going to hinge that door on the glass panel with no vertical support?

They do make a bottom hinge (pivot hinge) for that door that connects to the threshold, which supports the weight - but I agree its so far missing from any of the drawings.  The cost of that piece is much greater than a standard jamb hinge that could be used on the (right) jamb simply reversing the opening direction.

I drew the door very quickly...not showing all the clips.Also...typically they would want to hinge off of a wall ...not the door (for the ideal strength), but it can be done.

In this case (per the orginal post) they would very likely add a section of metal frame at the top of the staitonary panel to help make everything rigid since the glass isn't being clipped to the door header.

And yes country...those clips are very strong. It does indeed looks very precaraious but that's how they typically do it.

...good method Joe on drawing in the doors. Like that one! Tnx

post-77-0-09824200-1416605984_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-49464900-1416605996_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-53726100-1416606005_thumb.jpg

It's always good to ask. I thought that large piece of unstablized glass would be a problem supporting the door. (Not being able to pin it at the top because of the opening below the header.). Having a bottom pivot hinge and the small top post support makes a lot of sense.

Perry's solution to the drawing sounded pretty straight forward.