Connecting different pitched roofs

madhousearch

"Manually" is the only way to go for me. Haven't used auto roofs in years. It took quite a few years for me to become proficient with the roof tools. Once you become proficient you may find drawing manually goes a little faster. In your downtime practice with the roof tools. You'll be a pro in no time. Happy New Year!

On 12/29/2020 at 8:34 PM, mtldesigns said:

As you get more experienced Philip, you will find that you will hardly use the auto function.  I haven't in years.  

Still disagree with this statement.  In some roof cases yes manual is the way to go.  But I would say in most cases that is not the case.  Make the program do 90% of the work for you by learning to use the automatic tools how they are.  At the end you will probably have to manually over-ride the auto roofs to adjust a few things. but why spend the time to manually draw all the roof planes if it will automatically generate something that is close for you in most cases.  Especially newer users will find life alot less complicated with auto roofs in most cases.

My 2cents only. 

23 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Make the program do 90% of the work for you by learning to use the automatic tools how they are.  At the end you will probably have to manually over-ride the auto roofs to adjust a few things. but why spend the time to manually draw all the roof planes if it will automatically generate something that is close for you in most cases. 

My thoughts exactly! I always get as far as I can with the auto roof then manually override for the couple problem areas.

Ryan, Most of the homes I design have pretty complicated roofs. In the time it would take me to go through and critique everything to get to a finished product, I would have already been done if I had drawn it manually. Yes, Chief's automatic tools can come in handy but they don't work for every occasion. Which is why it's smart to learn how to draw manually. I got tired of going back and editing. I guess I saw it as more work on my part to correct what was auto generated when I could have just drawn it the way I wanted it the originally. Everyone's case is different. I design complicated and rather "large" homes with equally large and complicated roofs. I agree that the user should take the time to learn the automatic tools, but I also think the user should take the time to learn how to manually draw as well. To each his own, I guess. Lol. Happy New Year!    

5 minutes ago, Rosco2017 said:

Ryan, Most of the homes I design have pretty complicated roofs. In the time it would take me to go through and critique everything to get to a finished product, I would have already been done if I had drawn it manually. Yes, Chief's automatic tools can come in handy but they don't work for every occasion. Which is why it's smart to learn how to draw manually. I got tired of going back and editing. I guess I saw it as more work on my part to correct what was auto generated when I could have just drawn it the way I wanted it the originally. Everyone's case is different. I design complicated and rather "large" homes with equally large and complicated roofs. I agree that the user should take the time to learn the automatic tools, but I also think the user should take the time to learn how to manually draw as well. To each his own, I guess. Lol. Happy New Year!    

I agree that knowing how to do it is key but if the auto roofs are far off from what the desired is in many cases it is because the configurations you tell it to do are not right.  If you setup your model roof to be built correctly it is generally pretty close.  Now again I will reiterate that some cases manual is the way to go.  I too do some very large and complicated roofs both for as-builts and new construction although I do tend to try to simplify new designs to take into account the general idea of massing and less is more.   But again the roof tool although not perfect can get you 90% of the way in most cases.

15 minutes ago, rgardner said:

If you setup your model roof to be built correctly it is generally pretty close.

I've been using Chief and Chief Architect products for many many, years. Quite a few. I'm not saying I know everything about this software, because that would be ignorant, but I'd like to say I'm pretty proficient. With that being said I can tell you that is not always the case. 

20 minutes ago, rgardner said:

although I do tend to try to simplify new designs to take into account the general idea of massing and less is more.

I wish this could always be the case, but some of my builders dictate almost 80% of the design. Including the elevations. 

21 minutes ago, rgardner said:

But again the roof tool although not perfect can get you 90% of the way in most cases.

Depending on the complexity of the model. Yes and No.

Some people are hard core advocates of Chief's Automatic tools. They are extremely handy and can save people quite a bit of time if used correctly. In some case's Chiefs automatic tools can not get you what you need because these tools can't predict every single scenario that arises in the field. We're getting off topic. It's smart to learn both automatic and manual roof tools. Who knows, you may prefer one over the other in the end. Like I said earlier... "To each his own" 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As a rule leave on auto roofs because it is a nice way of program keeping track that you are doing it correct, if roof looks goofy well find out what you need to adjust for it to auto build. OF COURSE complicated projects you will end up shutting it off.

• Upvote 1

Everybody thinks their roofs are complex, but there have been plenty of complex roof examples done mostly auto, right here on the forum, that show auto roofs delivering most of work.

Show us one that is too complex for this to be the case, and don't wing a curveball like a Chinese pagoda at us.

• Like 1

The advantage of using auto build for roofs is that it gets all the base lines in place, and the facia heights aligned.  Pitch and intersections can always be easily changed to get what you want.  Sometimes intersections are a bit of a problem, but with a little work it can all be readily solved.  The auto build is, from my experience, always a great place to start.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

The auto build is, from my experience, always a great place to start.

Doug, I agree.

I enjoy designing my roofs manually. Others like to use the automatic tools. Not everyone works the same. That doesn't mean one way is the correct way and the other is not. I'm not the type of person who ignores suggestion. Coming from a family of educators, learning and education is a life long endeavor. I always keep my mind open to different possibilities and ways of doing things. This turned into a hot button conversation. Does anyone else draw their roofs manually, or is it just me? LOL

On 12/31/2020 at 12:32 PM, Rosco2017 said:

It's smart to learn both automatic and manual roof tools.

This. I start off auto then manually do whatever it takes.

I see no point in eschewing auto roofs. Why not let the program build what it can? I'm not advocating jumping through hoops trying to force a certain automatic plane, but let it do what it can. At least it saved you drawing x number of planes.

My template has auto build roof checked as default. In most cases it gets it 50-70% correct, right off the bat. That works for me, I can always edit/redraw whatever needs fixed.

My 2¢: use both.

13 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Another point: I try to keep auto on as long as possible when in the initial concept phase. Homeowner wants to add 2' to the garage in both directions? Bam, roof follows right along.

That is a very good point.