Ceiling Finish Reports "Drywall" in Room Finish Schedule

SteveByars

I'm wrestling with the finish schedule and almost have it worked out but have one last issue. The Room Finish Schedule reports "Drywall, Ceiling Finish Material". Is there a way to get it to stop reporting the "drywall" portion of the ceiling finish material?

Thank you,

image.thumb.png.4b4bfbb029b7d5aa1076e98021f9340b.png

16 minutes ago, SteveByars said:

use the Material Eyedropper and Painter.

WARNING WARNING...Avoid that tool like the plague!!

OK, maybe not the actual plague, but use of that tool WILL cause unwanted results down the line. Always use a thin "paint" layer, or simply copy the drywall,....layer and give it a unique name that will show in the schedule

image.thumb.png.a2405e53d7ab64c053e5b85c5bc8a468.png

image.thumb.png.fbb43d047e47bc0e8834b2bd248afd32.png

image.thumb.png.b6c95f1e967bbf8fcbe3728786538cc8.png

image.thumb.png.bf3af30abe16db4f36ca3a48004f8de8.png

image.thumb.png.2e3228705786554a5f8ea9322b5f1e01.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveByars said:

That works but I was hoping to find a solution that allowed me to use the Material Eyedropper and Painter.

Good theory but unfortunately it seems to create a bunch of other issues the way chief is currently set up.

image.thumb.png.0d4f30bf1ec20b22f6873efc0b5d574d.png

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, SteveByars said:

I'm wrestling with the finish schedule and almost have it worked out but have one last issue. The Room Finish Schedule reports "Drywall, Ceiling Finish Material". Is there a way to get it to stop reporting the "drywall" portion of the ceiling finish material?

Thank you,

image.thumb.png.4b4bfbb029b7d5aa1076e98021f9340b.png

It depends on how complex your Room Finish Schedule is, but one thing I really like to do for a good handful of situations is to use a Note Schedule along with Custom Object Fields.  It offers a lot more control and flexibility, not only with regard to exactly what is displayed in the schedule but also with how the schedule is numbered, and organized, and how the rooms are labeled in the plan. If you were to go that route, you could simply use a Note with the %room.ceiling.finish.name% macro in one of your Custom Object Fields.  Very quick, down and dirty example using Chief's "Modern Bungalow" plan...

1446087730_example1.thumb.jpg.05ba3a2df2489dbfa986836f7fc85df5.jpg

2054390607_example2.thumb.jpg.bddcd79e77ae4848282ffd9c639936e3.jpg

1314818308_example3.thumb.jpg.7a4466341a5a77c2f7da91b72535fadd.jpg

Modern Bungalow.zip

• Like 1

changing materials with it messes with everything,,,, but I see I was reading too quickly and this is different issue. I fix many plan files for others and the eye dropper should be a registered weapon with-in Chief. Without proper permit you can not use it,,,, lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, Chopsaw said:
On 12/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, SteveByars said:

That works but I was hoping to find a solution that allowed me to use the Material Eyedropper and Painter.

Good theory but unfortunately it seems to create a bunch of other issues the way chief is currently set up.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, joey_martin said:

WARNING WARNING...Avoid that tool like the plague!!

On 12/28/2020 at 7:28 AM, ShaneK said:

Eye dropper strikes again.

I feel like you guys should really qualify your statements with some context and reason.  You’re doing a real disservice by discouraging the use of a very effective tool based on some very marginal use cases where it should rightly be avoided.  

In Joey’s example, using a thin “paint” layer on the ceiling is all well and good but as Chopsaw shows can have some notable issues when used on walls.  Besides, painting that “paint” layer on the ceiling surface using the Material Painter is no different than changing it through the Room’s Material tab.  And copying and changing the drywall material type could be done just as well using the Material Painter except that using the Material Painter you could also take advantage of the various Modes.  

In Chopsaw’s example, there’s a legitimate issue being shown but it has nothing to do with the ceiling finish issue being asked about and also has nothing to do with using the Material Painter.  It’s just illustrating why it’s a bad practice to use a thin “paint” layer in your wall definition.

And in Shane’s example, there’s no context or reason whatsoever.

The truth is that the Material Painter is very commonly the best and most effective way of changing materials with only a small handful of exceptions.  I have attached a link to a quick write up I did on the subject, but the short of it is that the vast majority of problems are simply caused by inadvertently painting with “Blend Colors with Materials” toggled on and when using on Exterior Walls (which by the way is also extremely easy to fix).  Almost all other scenarios are problem free.  In fact, using on Interior Wall surfaces can be the single MOST efficient and effective method.  

Anyway, Instead of using such broad and generic statements, why not learn and teach more specifically how the tools actually work.   And if you’re going to discourage their use, how about using a little more detail and perhaps some relevant examples of when and why to avoid them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1