Making Chief Use Your Nvidia Graphics Card , if needed.

Kbird1

How to change NVIDIA Optimus graphics settings

July 2021.

Windows 10 also has it own settings now and Chief has now made a KB article about how to set that up too.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-03140/forcing-chief-architect-programs-to-use-a-specific-graphics-card-in-windows-10.html

Dec. 2020 :  Window's 10 also now has a some built in control of what graphics processor is used but this is my preferred method....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It maybe worth updating your Intel Drivers ( download the Intel Driver and Support Assistant )  as well but in general

this is an issue of the Nvidia (NV) Discrete Graphics Card not being used by Chief in your Laptop , and some Desktops.

Many laptops ( and some Desktops ) come with both an Intel UHD Graphics Card and a Discrete Videocard Card

eg a Nvidia Geforce GTX or RTX  (or AMD Radeon), which is the Card, Chief should be using especially in 3D Windows.

The Issue lies in that Chief is not "seen" as a 3D Game by Nvidia's Driver,(NV), so the switch may not always happen automatically,

so we need to ADD Chief to the Nvidia Control Panel 3D Manage Page , and set the Nvidia card to be always used when Chief is Open

ie: make it the  "Preferred Graphics Processor" ,            this will likely need resetting EACH time the Driver is updated.....

Desktop NV CP  1                                                                                        Desktop NV CP  2  

( Chief already added to list )                                                                        How to add Chief to the "List"

19703040_L.DesktopNvidia1.thumb.PNG.345d7cb97fcfe83f362278ea14ddec11.PNG         image.thumb.png.d33f330532bd6eaf9a096ddce4fbd754.png

General Laptop "everything uses" NV Card Setting                                                              Laptop Chief NV CP Settings

( I recommend this  only if plugged in to AC ) 

1357174099_LaptopNvidia3Dmanage1.thumb.PNG.6c575dd40b7e07f57dd065007dc262ab.PNG         1736923144_LaptopNvidia3Dmanage2.thumb.PNG.a08863453c6053733f2fed4d0ca49483.PNG

This mode will use a lot of your battery quickly                           Once set don't forget to set the Options ie No# 7 and 8 above in Desktop pic 2 too.     

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, RileyCrosby said:

Hey there,

Thanks for this. I was fiddling with this today on a new PC.

Any tips on if this can also be switched for Ray Tracing? I made the change and it seems to be running better but Ray Trace uses 100% CPU and barely any of the GPU.

Thanks

Thanks, that is how the Current Raytracing works -- it is all CPU based --  there is a new PBR-RT view coming in X13 which will use the Nvidia RTX Cards in the 2000 or 3000 Series though, in Windows.

However the old views will remain for those with older hardware to use also.

Check out the What's Coming 3D rendering Video if you haven't already.

M.

18 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks so much Mick!  We all can use a performance boost on our computers regardless of specs!  Thanks so much for taking the time to show us this, I really appreciate it!

IMO this post should be pinned here.  Perhaps this should be detailed in an official CA getting started guide.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:15 PM, Kbird1 said:

Dec. 2020 :  Window's 10 also now has a some built in control of what graphics processor is used but this is my preferred method....

You glossed right over this but I'm not sure why.  It's super easy, I believe its the same on both a desktop and a laptop, and I don't think it needs to be done every time you update drivers either.  Can you elaborate on why you prefer using the Nvidea Control Panel? 

This is the Windows method by the way...

Windows.thumb.jpg.42184fb712f8165895cf7c7a3a687cd4.jpg

20 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks so much Mick!  We all can use a performance boost on our computers regardless of specs!  Thanks so much for taking the time to show us this, I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, AvoyeDesign said:

IMO this post should be pinned here.  Perhaps this should be detailed in an official CA getting started guide.

Thanks for the Thanks :)  it's good to know moving the Old Post here to Tips is letting others Find it easier , and make use of it.

As Michael has pointed out in newer version of Windows 10, Microsoft is now able to also take Control via the Settings App, YMMV though.

Mick. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You glossed right over this but I'm not sure why.  It's super easy, I believe its the same on both a desktop and a laptop, and I don't think it needs to be done every time you update drivers either.  Can you elaborate or why you prefer using the Nvidea Control Panel? 

This post was 1st made back in 2017 or 2018 but was buried in a Thread , and seeing the same question asked again in Dec., I decided to put it over here in Tips too, to make it easier to find.

In Win 10 190x the Settings App did not work for me and I had to use method above, there are however more options in Win 10 2004/202H though I see now that I have it.

Mick.

• 5 months later...