Measuring Tape tool without snaps?

Michael_Gia

I’ve always just assumed it was a bug but the measuring tape tool always wants to snap to things even when “object snaps” is turned off. 

Is there any way to have the measuring tape tool NOT snap? 

I usually end up drawing a cad line and checking its length. Cadlines don’t snap when snap is turned off. (Which is the way it should work)

There is a big problem when the Tape Measure tool is used with Grid Snaps turned on since the tool will then snap to the grid rather than what you are trying to measure.   Not sure how snapping to objects would present a problem though?  It has to snap to something to give you a measurement.  Maybe it is snapping to the wrong thing ??

53 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

It has to snap to something to give you a measurement.  Maybe it is snapping to the wrong thing ??

I actually would like it not to snap to anything.

It happens quite often that I measure the distance between two objects and get a wrong measurement.  

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

I actually would like it not to snap to anything.

Like the other guys said, you can use the Control or Command key to override all snaps but you could also probably just turn off Grid Snaps along with the Object Snaps that you're already turning off.  With both Object Snaps and Grid Snaps turned off my Tape Measure tool won't snap to anything.

23 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Might be Option not Command on some MACs..... ( keyboard differences???)

M.

Unless you have changed your shortcut it should be Cmd and works fine for me as well.  Whatever the key is to override snaps/bumping when you are moving something should be the same key.

2 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Unless you have changed your shortcut it should be Cmd and works fine for me as well.  Whatever the key is to override snaps/bumping when you are moving something should be the same key.

You are probably right ...never owned a MAC..... I maybe thinking of the MAC ALT Key issue ( use Option) , some Clients have had.....

M.

I can confirm that even with all snaps turned off, Command does not stop the tape measure from locating objects.

It appears as though it is not snapping because you don't see the snap indicators.

But have a close look and you will see the dimension extension line appear when it is locating an object.

When the tape measure is not locating an object, the end of the dimension is a cross, then, when it locates an object, the end of the dimension displays as an extension line identified as extension 2.

Even so, there still seem to be some random locations that the tape measure wants to locate. 

• Upvote 1