VisualDandD

Share Computer spec thoughts for X13 in mind (planning new build)

Been using 3d Connection mouse since it first came out in 2015.

I could NEVER go back.  It has changed the way I draw.  Mainly VASTLY improving 3d editing capabilities, being able to select and move model in 3d greatly reducing redundant edits.   EG, select a bunch of windows...

Here is a vid I did of how nice a 3d mouse works.

15 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Been using 3d Connection mouse

They make a bunch of mice -- which one are you using?

And for anyone watching, Chief has the ability to pan around in 3D while maintaining a selection.

5 minutes ago, solver said:

They make a bunch of mice -- which one are you using?

And for anyone watching, Chief has the ability to pan around in 3D while maintaining a selection.

It is the first one they released.  3dx-700028  SpaceNavigator.   I dont think they make it any longer.  Looks like the most similar is the "compact one" except the one I have is full size but only 3d mouse.

I dont need all the buttons because I also run a Logitech G13 keypad along side it.

I put labels on it so I have it programmed as a 10 key with ' and " keys to make manually entering dims easy.  I also have a different mode that I use for roofs and cad which changes the programming of the keys to common functions, like point to point move, and connect roof plans, break cad....etc.   Not sure they still make this one either ;)  but it is part of my work flow now....

I also use a logitech gaming mouse with 12 programmable keys and on the fly dpi switching.    Basically I plug the computer right into my brain ;) 

vPUWXGt.jpg

17 minutes ago, solver said:

hey make a bunch of mice -- which one are you using?

My wife bought me the SpaceMouse Compact for Christmas.  Its fabulous, not only for working in 3D but for working in 2D views as well.  Very easy to click and draw with my right hand while I pan and zoom with my left.  I will say this for anyone thinking of getting one...One of the very first things I thought after playing with it for a bit is that I wish the mouse had the Escape key, Control, Tab, and maybe Shift keys right on it.  I was pretty unfamiliar with these mice and did a quick search on the other models.  Sure enough, the SpaceMouse Pro has most of those keys right there on it plus a few extra programmable keys.  I say all that to say this.  If you're going to make the jump, the Compact version is worth the money for sure, but I would really recommend going straight for the SpaceMouse Pro.  You'll be able to keep working a lot more often without having to let go to reach for the keyboard. 

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

My wife bought me the SpaceMouse Compact for Christmas.  Its fabulous, not only for working in 3D but for working in 2D views as well.  Very easy to click and draw with my right hand while I pan and zoom with my left.  I will say this for anyone thinking of getting one...One of the very first things I thought after playing with it for a bit is that I wish the mouse had the Escape key, Control, Tab, and maybe Shift keys right on it.  I was pretty unfamiliar with these mice and did a quick search on the other models.  Sure enough, the SpaceMouse Pro has most of those keys right there on it plus a few extra programmable keys.  I say all that to say this.  If you're going to make the jump, the Compact version is worth the money for sure, but I would really recommend going straight for the SpaceMouse Pro.  You'll be able to keep working a lot more often without having to let go to reach for the keyboard. 

Michael

I have all those keys programmed on the side of my 'normal' mouse.   Tab is SUPER effective as you dont realize how many times you press it!  I also have the open dbx hot key on there.  I dont use all 12 keys, but eventually I thought about adding in some more key binds but I already have the extra keyboard.

Having access to those important functions though is critical when using the 3d mouse so binding them to your 'normal' mouse works well also!

Also has on the fly DPI switching which I use from time to time making it very nice!

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=logitech+g600&qid=1609293472&s=electronics&sr=1-2

6 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Michael

I have all those keys programmed on the side of my 'normal' mouse.   Tab is SUPER effective as you dont realize how many times you press it!  I also have the open dbx hot key on there.  I dont use all 12 keys, but eventually I thought about adding in some more key binds but I already have the extra keyboard.

Having access to those important functions though is critical when using the 3d mouse so binding them to your 'normal' mouse works well also!

Also has on the fly DPI switching which I use from time to time making it very nice!

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Backlit-Programmable-Buttons/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=logitech+g600&qid=1609293472&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Ya, I have some programmable buttons on my normal mouse as well.  I don't really like them all that much though.  Would much rather have them over on my left hand side where I'm already accustomed to hitting them.  Besides, it would also allow me to hit and/or hold those buttons while I use the number pad, arrow keys, and/or the enter key with my right hand. 

7 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Ya, I have some programmable buttons on my normal mouse as well.  I don't really like them all that much though.  Would much rather have them over on my left hand side where I'm already accustomed to hitting them.  Besides, it would also allow me to hit and/or hold those buttons while I use the number pad, arrow keys, and/or the enter key with my right hand. 

Gotcha!

On a tangent, I have played with the idea of programming one of these! (link below) 

I think it could be a very powerful tool with child buttons...etc.   Put a 10 key in there with ft and in along with all the edit functions.

But who am I kidding.   I keep my SSA up to date, and I have never even loaded X12 yet (srs).    Busy year was busy!

https://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Stream-Deck-XL-customizable/dp/B07RL8H55Z/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=elgato+stream+deck+xl&qid=1609294205&sr=8-1

Hey Justin. While you are mulling over all the

hardware options don't neglect to find a case

that will hold it all.

I recently opened up a rig I was using in 2005

to run AutoCad and Solidworks. Check out the

size of the video card back then.

IMG_3245.thumb.JPG.fcdfacb167a3f17c118d320b076a7377.JPG

How about that cooling system - a single 1 1/4" fan.

Fast forward 15 years and the video card has

gone from 6" x 2 1/2" x 1/2" to:

GTX 780 & 1080  10 1/2" x 4 3/8" x 1 1/2"

RTX 3080  11 1/4 x 4 3/8 x 1 1/2"

RTX is another 3/4" longer than the 780 & 1080

which were already pushing the capacity of a lot

of cases. If we extrapolate out another 15 years

the video card will be the size of a suitcase. :D

43 minutes ago, Rich_Winsor said:

I recently opened up a rig I was using in 2005

to run AutoCad and Solidworks. Check out the

size of the video card back then.

Nice! I remember the first video card I used to run Chief.  It was a GeForce GT 430 and at approx. 5.7" x 2.7" may have been even a little smaller than that one.  I remember thinking it was freaking awesome too....

....I still kinda do actually.