Door Jambs and Swings

amddrafting

Why give the option of insetting the door jambs if the door isn't going to move with it?  I have as built in a church that I'm working on and this is a 12" wall with a 4" door frame that is inset 4" into the wall.  What is the point of giving control to your object's pieces that totally disconnect from the functionality of the entire object?  Makes zero sense.  Anyone have a solution other than trying to frame walls to act as the inset area?

image.thumb.png.ad2586d01b06301040c65e834b9a9bd8.png

• Like 1

I think this falls under the “overmodelling” umbrella.  

I mean, what should we be modelling and what should we be simply using a detail/callout for?

Is anyone in the field looking that closely at a 1/4” scale set of plans to take instructions on how to frame a door?

I’m not being facetious.  I was told this once by an architect who asked me to show him how I use Chief Architect. 
He told me that a real architect doesn’t even show baseboards in a plan drawing. All details are dealt with in schedules and detail drawings. 

I for one, need to show these details in a live 3D view to my clients, and that is why I use Chief in the first place. My carpenter couldn’t care less about those details, he goes straight to the detail pages and schedules. 

It appears that you edited the size of the "Jamb" but didn't select the option to "Inset the Door" which can only be to the "Main" or "Sheathing" layer of the wall.  Chief doesn't allow the door to be inset a random dimension.  You will need to have a wall of the correct thickness (at least the wall definition) needs to have one of those at the location where you want the door to be hinged.

Basically, a door can be hinged at one of 3 locations on the exterior side of the wall:

• Wall Surface
  • Sheating Layer
  • Main Layer

or at the interior face of the wall. 

You might need to reverse the wall to get the correct side.

OTOH, I would just have a thinner wall at the location where the door is inset.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

OTOH, I would just have a thinner wall at the location where the door is inset.

You could do this precisely where the door is at with it's casing and you can even make it a pony wall to 80 or 96" high with the thicker wall above...