File - Back Up Entire Plan-New Data!!!

DavidJPotter

For those of you who already knew (So what) but I just found this out!:

If you run the "File Back-Up Entier Plan" command while just the plan file is open, the command backs up all referenced file textures and embedded files in just the plan file. BUT!!

If you open just the layout file and run that command it backs up ALL ASSOCIATED PLAN FILES, PDF'S AND ANY ASSOCIATED PDF'S AND OTHER FILES REFERENCED IN THAT LAYOUT!!!

For me, I just never tried it that way, I have always just used it on plan files alone but this is a GREAT tool when you are working with other users on different computers, in that it rounds up all associated files period! WOW, no more error messages when sharing files!!! (new to me anyways (:

DJP

PS: if you already knew this, try not to gloat or make fun of me for just finding out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

PS: if you already knew this, try not to gloat or make fun of me for just finding out.

It's sad and frustrating that this is a valid concern... I see it all over the place, here and Facebook to name 2. Some groups are worse than others. You don't know what you don't know and people who share to help other out will eventually stop altogether when they are constantly trolled. Thanks for sharing BTW, I learned something

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, this is VERY important when you showcase as-built and proposed plans...or say 4 different options of a .plan variations of a home onto a single layout.  Backing up from the LAYOUT will package ALL associated .plan files (plus all reference files in the layout, and ALL plan files associated) into a single folder.

Makes it super easy.

One way to make file sharing efficient without having to close programs in order to copy or share, (because the file is "Open" in Chief) is to save the Chief files (plan and layout) in a folder.  Save the backup file created in that same folder.  In this manner, Chief doesn't really operate by saving into the backup...it just a suitcase to store things as you go along...and you can toss the suitcase to whomever you like and they have everything they need in that suitcase while those same Chief layout and/or plan files are open.

When you receive a suitcase of Chief files in a backup folder.  First thing, save the files you are going to manipulate outside of the backup folder.  Do you thing...and then backup again to another suitcase.  Chief will package again ALL resaved and archived files (from the old suitcase) into a new one with again, ALL the associated files with the Layout.

Perhaps someone has a better solution, but I work almost always with multiple people using Chief or HD products and so far, this is the best I've come up with.

My 2 bits worth...

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

I like your idea of the 'suitcase', Ivan.  This might be a good way to save design options.  Some jobs require multiple design ideas and I find copying files and renaming can be confusing when I go back to a job months later.  I'll give this a try.  Thanks.

Glad you liked the idea.  Keeping various design options organized is absolutely critical.  I use a lettering system.  File management is typically alphabetical on computer systems and this lists the files as such.  So a typical project is named, jobA, jobB, jobC as we go along for the versions of the file.  Sometimes, say at jobC, the client wants to see three roof options.  So at this point, starting from jobC file, I'll create jobC1, jobC2, and jobC3.  When we move forward from there, it becomes jobD and so on.

Seems like a small thing, but vocabulary becomes important.  I use "VERSION" for the letter sequencing and "OPTION" for the number sequencing.

In the event of getting to version Z, then the file becomes ZA, ZB, etc.  That's only happened twice....

Number and date systems seem to be popular...but they always seem to get messed up between different peoples "way" or even country standards.  As well, the time/date stamp is there with the file already so it becomes redundant.  Using the letter system then allows for the attached date to be an additional layer of quality control.

Organization is the vault to success here....a good system is the key.

Again...by humble opinion.  Cheers,