Gaps in exterior wall when roof lowered below floor elevation

Michael_Gia

So, I often have this condition where the exterior wall above garage is inset as shown below.

Then I will often/always lower the roof over the garage to reduce the distance from the top of the garage door to the soffit. (it looks nicer)

(the plan is for demonstration purposes only, my actual plans are even uglier) haha.

Anyway the plan is attached and the problem is those gaps above the garage roof created by the exterior wall above which won't extend down to

cover the side of the floor. (I'm guessing)

I've always just slapped on some p-solids to cover my shame, but there must be a more intelligent solution?

576260005_ScreenShot2020-12-20at9_45_36PM.thumb.png.b13196c0c90a553ff1d48ce27410f3b3.png

941401358_ScreenShot2020-12-20at9_48_02PM.thumb.png.74f445690642d2ec99a3b9adce322aa7.png

Test from Template.plan

@Michael_Gia - I recreated using my template and got the same thing. So..it's a Chief thing. 

I played with wall structure settings, floor settings...nothing worked. If time is money...P-Solid and get on with it might be the best answer.

Maybe one of our really smart guru's will chime in with the way to go about this...

• Upvote 1

The funny thing is that even dragging the wall down doesn’t fix it.  Always leaves a gap. 

I’ve even tried, “extend wall past floor below” and that also doesn’t  help. 

I thought there would be a way to add wall material to edge of floor, you know how we do with deck floors?...

Nothing. 

4 minutes ago, ShaneK said:

I just opened your plan, turned on auto roof build and it fixed itself,,,, are you sure you are rebuilding roofs after changes?

546720156_TestfromTemplate.plan

2020-12-21_11-09-24.png

Not certain that is working according to the original plan. That roof should be lower, around 115". Move it down and the gaps show up.

Played with it as well.  With a roof cuts wall exterior wall on 1st layer changed to not show layer and having the floor hung on that floor instead of upstairs it gets it as close as I have seen but still have about a 3"x3" angled white gap there in the corner but get's it really close.  Must be something we are not seeing or a glitch for that scenario.  Based on Chief's principles it will auto-build attic walls up but not down so there needs to be a small wall on either side on floor 1 to get rid of it but not sure why it is giving a little triangle gap.

Auto build roofs puts the roof height back to default and fixes the gaps but now your roof is no longer at the desired lowered height of -24”, as David and Kitchen Abode pointed out. 

Once you drop the roof again the gaps return. 

I am able to “fix” this at the front end of the house by making the floor above the garage 24” thicker but that only works if I’m ok with dropping the ceiling inside the garage for the entire ceiling surface of the garage (which I’m not) but I just want to point that out to show that the problem is definitely coming from the fact that the roof is being lowered to expose the floor structure above. 

It’s one of the side effects of Chief’s room based modeling paradigm.  It’s not only a problem with the walls that need to extend below the room definition but also a problem with the outside corner that lands above the roof where the roof cuts those 2 exterior walls down.  Aside from patching with Polyline Solids, the only other solution I can think of is to insert a short floor and use an Open Below room.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

I've always just slapped on some p-solids to cover my shame, but there must be a more intelligent solution?

I would say, no, there isn't. P solids are the fastest, simplest, most stable way to handle this. I have the same condition all the time, and there are other ways, but they suck.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

I would say, no, there isn't. P solids are the fastest, simplest, most stable way to handle this.

Thanks guys.  It actually helps to know that there isn’t a solution almost as much as a solution itself, if you know what I mean. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Chief’s room based modeling paradigm

I guess slapping on some p-solids is a small price to pay for having automatic room, labels, floor finishes, paint, trim and moulding, floor structure, ceiling structure etc... 

Compared to other software where all this has to be added manually, and updated when room divisions change. 

I guess we’re lucky. 

My wish list for Christmas would be to have the ability to “explode/ungroup” the exterior finish layer and the interior finish layer of walls so we could modify those as we do p-solids.  

Is that too much to ask for?

35 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

My wish list for Christmas would be to have the ability to “explode/ungroup” the exterior finish layer and the interior finish layer of walls so we could modify those as we do p-solids.  

I hear what you're saying, and while I don't necessarily disagree, my opinion (for now) is that p-solids are so much faster than jumping through the multiple clicks of a dialog box. My favorite thing about a p-solid, is that in an elevation view, it will blend with the exterior finish layer and erase unwanted lines. of course, it does need to join accurately.

Revit has this feature. You can essentially unlock the siding and the exterior plywood layers which then allows you extend just those items in either direction on the Z-axis. 

It would be great if Chief was able to adopt the same ability. 

1 hour ago, Michael_Gia said:

• Upvote 2