2 different overhangs soffit problem

MC_Florida

Good morning to all. Onward with the learning curve.

I'm currently working on a as-built drawing involving 2 different size overhangs on a house. It has a hip roof. Boxed eves. My problem is is getting the soffits to reset back to the house. I've done much research here in past threads not finding a similar issue. I believe it is being caused by the roof planes because of the 2 different overhang dimensions.  The ridge is offset and does not cross at the wall corner intersection. I tried unlocking the roof overhang area layer, opening a cad detail and adjusting. I can't seem to get anything to work. I don't want to adjust the roof planes because that would not result what exists in the quote "Real World". 

Any help or thoughts would be deeply appreciated. Thank You.

I'm currently using X9. Yes I know I need to update my signature block and will do that. But X9 Is working just fine on my computer and that is not the problem.

2differentoverhangeveproblem.plan

soffitproblem.jpg

Eric you are correct. If the overhangs were equal say 18" they do connect. I proved that. My roof pitch Is 5:12, rafter. 3 sides of the building have an overhang of 24". The one overhang is 36" where I'm having the issue. I built an invisible wall on the exterior of the existing wall and set my baseline to that wall of 24" then deleted the wall to get my roof planes to build right. When I deleted the invisible wall(s) CA extended the soffit back to my original wall. Kudos. My roof plane baseline remains where the invisible was positioned. The result is as you see in the picture. I've rebuilt this in CA many different ways. Stuck

I have even tried taking the roof overhang area display and converting it to a CAD detail but the changes I made in the CAD detail do not modify in the drawing or camera overview. I don't know if maybe I could do something with a ceiling plane (I'm really reaching here!)

Eric that was too easy and worked just fine. It didn't change any of the framing either.

Thank you very much. I guess I just need to play with that a little bit to see why that works and understand. I spent to much time on something so simple. That plan was a test plan I do along side of my real project plan to test and solve issues I have with my real plan. Not really wanting to raise a lot of hell in my original plan.

To answer your question the video helped because it showed me it was the 2 adjacent roof planes were the ones that need the adjustment and not as I interpreted from the pictures above to be the long overhang roof plane.

Sincerely

Mike

I put this on the forum about a month ago, no one had the correct answer to fix it.

I have already submitted this problem it to tech support.

They acknowledge that it is a problem.

They suggested doing a work around with a poly solid in the gap. 

There was no indication as to when it might be fixed

1 hour ago, CAmichael240114 said:

I put this on the forum about a month ago, no one had the correct answer to fix it.

I have already submitted this problem it to tech support.

They acknowledge that it is a problem.

They suggested doing a work around with a poly solid in the gap. 

There was no indication as to when it might be fixed

I think @solver shows how to fix it in the video above. I guess it's a workaround...sort of. The program is doing what it is told to do...default to overhang. However, it's is true the software does not compensate for the different overhang distances. I guess Chief could try to fix this...but, it only takes a few minutes to clean up these soffit issues. 

I'd prefer they work on improving the stair tool. Please!

The ridge and fascia heights were exactly the same on all planes. The 2 - 24" roof planes adjacent to the 3' 10" overhang were defaulting to the value set in the roof overhang defaults in this case  24". To compensate for the one longer overhang the 2 adjacent roof planes in the roof plane specification/ options/boxed eve/ default to overhang had to be unchecked and a length equal or greater than entered to match the longer overhang. CA was doing what it was told. I guess there could have been some clearer instructions in the program help on this function. Living and learning! I won't forget this one......