plan is 300KB- why?

Lighthouse

I have a plan that is over 300KB.  That seems to be about three times larger than my typical plan.  It takes a long time to open and close.  Is there a way to analyze the plan to figure out what is making it so large?  It's possible that I have imported some third party sketchup models of furniture, etc.  I can't remember.  Is there a way to find these models in a plan, and delete them, without searching for each one individually?  Are there other factors that could make a plan large?  Is that a lot larger than other peoples' plans?

thx

Also if you have imported any PDF, .dwg or dxf files they tend to bloat a plan's size. Also the use of symbols imported from 3D warehouse can be problematic in terms of 3D faces and they also can add weight to the plan file.

You purge unused material associations by opening plan materials dialog and then select a material that does not have a check mark by it and then press the "Purge" button which then removes any material associations in the plan but leaves all actively used plan files.

CAD blocks are usually stored in "CAD - CAD Block Management - CAD Details. This is OK to do IF you have not also sent some of those details to your layout plan- deleting them form CAD Detail management will remove them from layout as well.

DJP

• Upvote 1

You also might have some imported objects that have really high face counts.  For instance, I have seen two toilets that look about the same but one has a really high face count.  If your plan has a lot of these items, it can really add up.

14 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

CAD blocks are usually stored in "CAD - CAD Block Management - CAD Details. This is OK to do IF you have not also sent some of those details to your layout plan- deleting them form CAD Detail management will remove them from layout as well.

Although I'm sure this was posted with the best of intentions and although I'm sure you know what you meant to convey,  this statement is still fraught with errors and I think it needs to be clarified.  CAD Blocks can be used and stored anywhere in your plan or layout.  This could be in Plan View, in a CAD Detail, in an Elevation View, on a Layout Page, etc.  They will always be available in CAD Block Management though if they exist anywhere in the plan.  This should not be confused with CAD Detail Management.  Robert was referring specifically to CAD Block Management.  Not only does CAD Block Management give you access to each and every CAD Block currently being used in that file, it will also give you access to every CAD Block that has EVER been used in the plan unless those CAD Blocks have either been manually purged or automatically purged by checking Automatically Purge CAD Blocks.  I have seen this particular item cause MASSIVE file bloat in plans where people use the old "Save As Method" for a long time.  I personally recommend keeping Automatically Purge CAD Blocks checked unless you really know what you're doing and why you're doing it.

• Upvote 1