Porch overhang...can't change it

Jambruins

Didn’t open your plan file but generally it is because you have an intersecting roof that will not line up the way it is setup unless it is that long.  Typical with porch roofs connecting into higher pitch roofs.  Other common reason is that in the wall dbx roof tab you have it set differently.

Just a hint about using the forum for questions like this, although very helpful to include plan files and a brief explanation of the issue a picture can also be very helpful and not make it so someone has to download a plan amd open it to see the issue.  Sometimes that is necessary but many times a pic is sufficient to troubleshoot.

Either way nice to have you here and welcome to the forums!

Apologies to the previous posters but I'm curious as to when attaching a plan became the less desirable option to a screen shot or any other method to diagnose a problem? I downloaded the attached plan file, which the attachment I consider a common courtesy on this forum, but could not figure out the issue. Anyone else with an idea?

As an aside, Eric and Ryan are always very helpful but if you, Jambruins, have any other future problems please attach a file whenever possible as it makes diagnosis that much easier.

Again I could not see why that 2' 6" overhang persisted, so not much help here.

I must have misread the above posts which clearly stated that a picture is perhaps all that's needed and a plan file may not be, and based on the forum's history from its inception where a request for a plan file is not only common but sometimes insisted upon, just seemed weird. I will learn to read more carefully.

Did the OP get any actual help? I opened the plan file but could not figure out the problem. Anyone trying to help the OP? Or simply arguing semantics?

Chief Architect software is designed to match fascia heights by default but when you have adjoining roof planes at different pitches then the lower pitched roof plane's eave must be extended to match that preprogrammed setting when building auto roofs. When this occurs one then has to manually make the shed roof match the adjacent higher pitched roof fascia tops match but maintain the uniform default pitch. I have seen this countless times over the years and is a bit annoying but IS understandable when dealing with an automatic software tool.

DJP

10 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Chief Architect software is designed to match fascia heights by default but when you have adjoining roof planes at different pitches then the lower pitched roof plane's eave must be extended to match that preprogrammed setting when building auto roofs. When this occurs one then has to manually make the shed roof match the adjacent higher pitched roof fascia tops match but maintain the uniform default pitch. I have seen this countless times over the years and is a bit annoying but IS understandable when dealing with an automatic software tool.

DJP

Interesting, did not know that. I took the OP's plan and eliminated every roof structure from every room except the porch, eliminating any other fascia heights and it still built with a 2' - 6" overhang instead of the spec'd 12".

I built a demo plan and clearly saw what you posted David - again very helpful. There must be something in the plan that is hanging on to a fascia height? Or is it inheriting the default 5:12 pitch for every other roof and applying that to the 2:12 pitch and forcing the 2'- 6" overhang to accommodate the 5:12 default? That seems to make the most sense.

To the OP. The default roof pitch of 5:12 is affecting the porch overhang (roof pitch 2:12 as set (changed) in the wall dbx) as if the fascia heights of the 2 different roof pitches have to match, as David suggested above, even if there are no actual adjoining roof fascias. Did not know that. Thanks for the tip David.

9 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks for the tip David.

Thank you. Dermot Dempsey et al did NOT tell me this, nor have I ever read this in the Reference Manual, rather I just observed that this is the consistent case since I started using Chief back in Version Four (no X4 but 4).

DJP

On 12/18/2020 at 11:34 AM, HumbleChief said:

Apologies to the previous posters but I'm curious as to when attaching a plan became the less desirable option to a screen shot or any other method to diagnose a problem?

Sorry if my trying to help the OP to get more help in the future made it come off as not being a good idea to attach the plan.  It is always better to attach the plan.  

What I was trying to help them see was that a screenshot of the problem especially with newer users is almost equally helpful/necessary with some issues as many of us are not looking at the forum only when we are on the computer.  There is many times that I may be in the hammock or even in the pool relaxing and will jumó on the forum to read and learn and sometimes try to help.  

Just from the description above as I mentioned (never as elegantly as Eric or others usually do) the culprit was because it was trying to line up the fascia of two adjoining roofs of different pitches.  A picture would have quickly shown that to me or others who are on the forums on their phone or a tablet.  That was my only intention was to help them see a good post has a good description, and both a screenshot picture and the plan file (especially with harder issues).  Lots of good help here for the OP.

Have a happy weekend everyone!