Create Cabinet with Countertop Installed Sloped Like a Drafting Table

scottytaylor8

I am designing a engineering office and they want a row of base cabinets installed in the plan room, but instead of  a standard flat countertop, they want the countertop installed at 30 to 40 degrees with a ledge at the bottom to hold the plans in place while working on them.  Is it possible to place a base cabinet and then install a custom countertop that is angled like I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

41 minutes ago, scottytaylor8 said:

I am designing a engineering office and they want a row of base cabinets installed in the plan room, but instead of  a standard flat countertop, they want the countertop installed at 30 to 40 degrees with a ledge at the bottom to hold the plans in place while working on them.  Is it possible to place a base cabinet and then install a custom countertop that is angled like I mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe someone with more experience than I have will know how to do this, but I would use polyline solids. the only way it would sorta bite you is an outside corner situation... Draw your base cabinet and from a side elevation shape the profile of your countertop and extrude it. 

Second thought that came to me while typing is to create a custom molding profile then lay out a molding polyline.

1 minute ago, GeneDavis said:

If you want the cab sides gabled, you're going to need even more time making p'solids.

if using x12 (maybe works as well in earlier but can't confirm) draw a polyline in 2d over the cabinets you want to affect in a straight line. convert to polyline solid and set the base height at the top of your cabinet box and the poly height to where the highest point should be. camera view. select side plane of polyline and adjust top "front" corner handle to base to establish slope. 

Using the polyline method... obviously made separate for color reasons and to be able to overhang the cabinet side at will.

1.thumb.jpg.7d505740e700048dfc7deb2c369de8fe.jpg

Using a custom molding profile for side fill and for countertop

2.thumb.jpg.c46509aea423c4dafea81057a037b85c.jpg

Attaching the calibz file with molding profiles...

Molding line for both profiles is at the wall and these work for standard depth cabinets.

Set fill molding to the finished height of your base cabinet 

Set countertop molding to top of base cabinet height +.625"

Cabinet Fill molding.calibz

Slopped Countertop (15 degree).calibz

Another variation of the above is to start with a Box and reshape it in 3D - this is a lot easier to do than it looks.

No boolean operations needed.

If you want more than 1 material, you can explode it, change any colors and then Make Architectural Block (or Convert Selected To Symbol) to get it back to a single unit.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.38.16 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.46.18 am.jpg

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, glennw said:

If you want more than 1 material, you can explode it, change any colors and then Make Architectural Block

I suggest one slight adjustment that saves tons of time...Explode, Make Architectural Block while still selected, an then change any colors you want.