not show upper half of pony wall in camera view

Lighthouse

I'm doing a foundation with pony walls that step down.  I would like to show the step down foundation walls in a foundation camera view, without showing the upper half of the wall.  I know there is a control for what part of the wall displays in plan view, but I don't see how to control what part of the wall shows in a perspective view.  I know I could make the upper part of the wall out of something like glass, but I want to keep the real wall definition so it displays correctly in overviews, etc.  Any clever ideas on how to show just the lower (concrete) portion of the wall and not the upper (framed) part?   Thanks

Try turning off Framing Walls, and keeping foundation walls on.

BTW if you get used to keeping your ALDO open you can simply select that framing of the wall and see what layer it is on.  Then you will know what to turn off.

8 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I don't think David meant turning off "framing" but rather turning off the fully clad wood-framed wall.

I don't know of any way to do this, but it would be a nice feature.

Maybe I misunderstood what he is looking for but it sounds like he wants to show a 3d perspective view of the foundation.  If you use the 3d framing view and turn off framing walls you are left with your foundation walls only.

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm doing a foundation with pony walls that step down.  I would like to show the step down foundation walls in a foundation camera view, without showing the upper half of the wall.  I know there is a control for what part of the wall displays in plan view, but I don't see how to control what part of the wall shows in a perspective view.  I know I could make the upper part of the wall out of something like glass, but I want to keep the real wall definition so it displays correctly in overviews, etc.  Any clever ideas on how to show just the lower (concrete) portion of the wall and not the upper (framed) part?   Thanks

There is no control for this. If you're creating an image, you can use the delete surface tool to remove the layers of the upper pony wall. It's not fun, and it will rebuild.

The very best option I can think of would be to make a copy of the plan file (just for the purpose of this view only) and change the pony wall's upper wall definition so all materials are using the invisible material. 

image.thumb.png.31548c3c344a72e34863bc537581a6d4.pngimage.thumb.png.8f33a3abddb7cfcf3e1a0ac69dd9c54b.png

14 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The 3D Framing View is the key.

Hmm, didn't work for me.  I did 3d framing view and unchecked all framing, but the walls are still there.  I also tried to delete the surfaces and save the camera view, but when I reopen the camera the walls are back

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I also tried to delete the surfaces and save the camera view, but when I reopen the camera the walls are back

That's what I said...they will rebuild. You can delete the surfaces, then capture images. They will rebuild.

9 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

The 3D Framing View is the key.

More info. would be helpful Gene. I'm not aware of any layer settings that will turn off the upper wall layers and leave the lower wall.

13 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Hmm, didn't work for me.  I did 3d framing view and unchecked all framing, but the walls are still there.  I also tried to delete the surfaces and save the camera view, but when I reopen the camera the walls are back

It might be an option for you to delete surfaces then save the foundation as a symbol