Random Terrain cotutors, no supporting elevation data

divreig

I imported a Import a surveyor DWG file. I followed the instruction in the tutorial (Import a Surveyor DWG file for a Site Plan or Terrain Perimeter (chiefarchitect.com) . And got some strange spikes hills. I have tired cleaning up the elevation data but no luck. There is simply no elevation data in the area that is that tall, not sure what is generate this. Pleas see the attached pic and surveyor map. 

17045-Topo.pdf

Spikes.jpg

17045-Topo-C.dwg

existing terrian2.plan

If this looks any better give these setting a try or go to medium if you have a faster computer than I do.

Linear was giving you the issues.  Also there is way more elevation data than chief likes to handle and I would guess your surveyor did not actually take over 5000 measurements unless he used a scanner which from the PDF it appears he did not.

I would try working with less of the data as it would appear that most of the data is computer generated and not measured.

Chief would likely come up with something close to what your surveyors program did with using the measured data.

Not enough time to actually look at the .dwg right now but check and see if the elevation points are there.

image.thumb.png.d6d313627e411e7ea257816b548a1512.png

7 hours ago, divreig said:

I imported a Import a surveyor DWG file. I followed the instruction in the tutorial (Import a Surveyor DWG file for a Site Plan or Terrain Perimeter (chiefarchitect.com) . And got some strange spikes hills. I have tired cleaning up the elevation data but no luck. There is simply no elevation data in the area that is that tall, not sure what is generate this. Pleas see the attached pic and surveyor map. 

17045-Topo.pdf

Spikes.jpg

17045-Topo-C.dwg

existing terrian2.plan

If this was the biggest anomaly you got from chief in terrain then that is amazing... its usually a crap shoot as Chief is pretty difficult to get terrains down to a t. I've had some work without a hitch then others look like a porcupine. I don't fully understand all of the adjustments but I've had fairly good luck with low terrain surface smoothing and higher  terrain surface triangle counts. I have yet to get retaining walls and such to work as desired

• 2 weeks later...

I run into the same problem as the others importing terrain data. It drives me CRAZY and I have not found a good solution.  When you live in the Ozarks like Lakeside-E and myself this simply doesn't work.

My local cities require the detail elevations / contours and many many of my projects are on acreage with hills and slopes everywhere.  PLEASE, give us some better options with contours and elevations.  The best solution would be to contour the imported data as is and use this as the contours.  If this isn't possible give us a better polyline simplification that merges the point further than the current options. Or ways to control linear after the first creation with editing the contours directly.

When in the hills of the Ozarks the land is never flat.  There are always lakes, rivers, ponds, hills and valleys on a single lot. And the lots are often over acres.  I had to provide 2 plans this year over 500 acres. (this is unusual)  Drainage has to be shown on surrounding lots.  It is such a pain.

3 minutes ago, Lacilex said:

When in the hills of the Ozarks the land is never flat.  There are always lakes, rivers, ponds, hills and valleys on a single lot. And the lots are often over acres.  I had to provide 2 plans this year over 500 acres. (this is unusual)  Drainage has to be shown on surrounding lots.  It is such a pain.

So when you hire a surveyor to do a terrain plan for 500 acres, how many elevation points does he record ? 

For what it is worth, I gave up even trying to import survey data to "automatically" create terrain planes for the exact same reason you are now complaining of, and commonly such resultant constructs are too complex for the common PC or Mac to easily handle in 3D.

What I now do is to import the graphical data and then MANUALLY  convert selected lines to "Elevation Objects" or tracing over such imported lines with custom terrain objects. This is, of course, slower but it keeps ME in control of the process (and not pre-programming) and I like that a lot better AND I then, with certainty always get a useful product.

DJP

• Like 1