Room Moldings

ARCBC30

I am having a hard time understanding how to apply room moldings. I have my defaults set to apply a base mold- that works fine. However when I try to add a crown molding to a specific room through the room properties dialogue box- it adds teh crown molding but deletes the base molding. What it really does is add the crown to the base then move it to the crown position as a two piece crown- but the molding at the base position dissapears. When I add the Base molding back- the crown molding dissapears. I am very confused by this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

FYI It seems that i can create a crown molding by doing a room molding polyline but it only allows me to sellect a molding that i have made available to that room through the room properties- abd i cant figure out how to do that without having the two piece crown problem I mentioned above. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am using x5 premier btw.

Joe,

Firstly, thank you for your time!

I am  clicking add new, but instead of adding a new crown molding to the ceiling, it is add ing the new crown molding to the base molding and placing both at the clg, in the process its deleting the base molding. Maybe I am not understanding the correct order of steps.

If i start with a room that has a base molding by default I

1) open the room properties dialogue box and go to the moldings tab

2) it shows the base molding in the base molding position (after i uncheck default)

3) I change the position of molding to crown molding (and the dialogue box will show the base molding in that position as well)

4) i click ad new

5) select the crown molding I want

6) now the dialogue box shows the crown molding at the crown molding position and also if i move to the base molding postion it also now shows the crown in that position as well??

7) click ok and teh base molding dissapears and the crown molding is shown at the cieling WITH the base molding added to it as a two piece molding. ?

I cannot get it to show the two moldings seperately one at the crown molding and one at teh base molding, it keeps wanting to place them together as atwo piece molding. I have tried doing these steps in various orders- but still cannot get it to work.

FYI after step 6 the molding pull down will show two moldings available, but no matter wich i choose it will show it (in the dialogue box- not in the model) at all three molding locations? I am thoroughly confused any help would be appreciated.

Make your own custom crown mold profile if it is a 2 piece or whatever and add it to your library (if you want to save it for future use). I have to make custom crown molding for about 1/2 of our jobs. It's easy to do. If you want me to show you, call me or email me and I'll show you online.

Joe,

Firstly, thank you for your time!

I am  clicking add new, but instead of adding a new crown molding to the ceiling, it is add ing the new crown molding to the base molding and placing both at the clg, in the process its deleting the base molding. Maybe I am not understanding the correct order of steps.

If i start with a room that has a base molding by default I

1) open the room properties dialogue box and go to the moldings tab

2) it shows the base molding in the base molding position (after i uncheck default)

3) I change the position of molding to crown molding (and the dialogue box will show the base molding in that position as well)

4) i click ad new

5) select the crown molding I want

6) now the dialogue box shows the crown molding at the crown molding position and also if i move to the base molding postion it also now shows the crown in that position as well??

7) click ok and teh base molding dissapears and the crown molding is shown at the cieling WITH the base molding added to it as a two piece molding. ?

I cannot get it to show the two moldings seperately one at the crown molding and one at teh base molding, it keeps wanting to place them together as atwo piece molding. I have tried doing these steps in various orders- but still cannot get it to work.

FYI after step 6 the molding pull down will show two moldings available, but no matter wich i choose it will show it (in the dialogue box- not in the model) at all three molding locations? I am thoroughly confused any help would be appreciated.

After step 2 - select Add New - then change to Crown.  By selecting Crown first you are changing the designation of the base molding to a Crown Molding.  That's where the problem is.

Joe,

Your last suggestion fixed my problem- I figured it was a procedure issue. I see now that I was forcing CA to see the base as a crown mold when it automatically recognizes it correctly when you do it in the correct order as you suggest.

at lease now i know how to make two piece moldings when I need it!

Rlackore and Tommy1 - thank you for your time as well.

• 3 months later...

I'm having a problem with my crown molding in one room.  The molding stops where there is a another wall teeing in on the other side.  It's like the end on the wall on the other side is poking through and stopping the molding inside the room.  Thanks in advance for any clues.  Mike