steel I beams

Paul_Eyestone

I have a macro that loads all the standard sizes of WF Beam Properties into a Global Hash.  I use it for structural sizing but it would be really nice if it could be used to draw the cross section shape or better yet actually create the 3D shape to use in the model.  Real World modeling of the specified size Beam would be cool B)

I would gladly share that macro with CA if they want to use it to model steel beams on the fly.

I haven't created a macro for any other shapes such as I-Beams, Channels, Angles, Square Tubes or Pipes.  But those wouldn't be too difficult.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I would gladly share that macro with CA if they want to use it to model steel beams on the fly.

That would be great Joe since not every Wide Flange steel beam has 1/4" flanges and webs. LOL 

Proper section views are really important on engineered drawings.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

since not every Wide Flange steel beam has 1/4" flanges and webs. LOL 

Correct - but I haven't included the web thickness.  Actual values for Name, Height, Width, Area, Flange Thickness, Weight, Sv, Iv, Sh and Ih are all included.

20 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Correct - but I haven't included the web thickness.

Is that something that you might be able to include ?   Chief may take the offer more seriously then for profile generation.

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Is that something that you might be able to include ?   Chief may take the offer more seriously then for profile generation.

Yes, it's just a matter of reading the AISC manual data to add the Web Thickness to my data.  Actually I could come pretty close (within a couple of 1/1000ths of an inch) just by using the Cross Section Areas to calculate the Web Thicknesses.  My macro does have the Cross Section Area and the calculation would be extremely close.  It would be a very easy addition to make in the macro.

Joey,

Those are very rough approximations and are not really usable to show reality in a 3D model. 

There are 20 different 12" Wide Flange Beams, ranging from (11.91" tall x 3.97" wide) to (13.41" tall x 12.4" wide).

The Flanges range from 0.2" thick to 0.79" thick.

The Webs also vary greatly, even more  than the flanges.

In addition, WF Beams vary in height from 4.16" to 27.8"

26 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Those are very rough approximations and are not really usable to show reality in a 3D model. 

Agreed. I was heading over there to look for updated catalogs and thought of this post. I use the dropdown menu when a beam is needed.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

I've modified my macro to include web thicknesses.  It's notable that for heavier WF Beams the web thickness increases even more than the flange thickness.  

For CA's information, the label of a WF Beam is in the following format:

W 12x45  nominal 12" tall x 45 lbs per ft.  This beam is actually 12.06" tall x 8.045" wide.

• Upvote 3

It's also fairly quick and simple to take a CAD section of an actual steel beam, make it into a solid, convert to a symbol and add it to a framing schedule, or any other type of schedule.

Every time you do this, make a copy, say 8' long, and add it to your library for future use.

37 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I've modified my macro to include web thicknesses.  It's notable that for heavier WF Beams the web thickness increases even more than the flange thickness.  

For CA's information, the label of a WF Beam is in the following format:

W 12x45  nominal 12" tall x 45 lbs per ft.  This beam is actually 12.06" tall x 8.045" wide.

Awesome.   Thanks Joe. :D    Have you contacted Chief directly or put something into Suggestions ?