Framing display single line or double line, view specific

dshall

Hey guys,  I thought we could have a plan view in layout displaying single line framing and then another view in layout displaying double line framing.

Is this true or not?

Again late to the party on this,  but can it be done?

1144956238_ScreenShot2020-12-14at8_26_00AM.thumb.png.11a73364be52706379490f9715eeb6ab.png              1918807225_ScreenShot2020-12-14at8_25_42AM.thumb.png.418c2b51fba7f65bc30a27deb8837cd0.png

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dshall said:

Hey guys,  I thought we could have a plan view in layout displaying single line framing and then another view in layout displaying double line framing.

Is this true or not?

Again late to the party on this,  but can it be done?

1144956238_ScreenShot2020-12-14at8_26_00AM.thumb.png.11a73364be52706379490f9715eeb6ab.png              1918807225_ScreenShot2020-12-14at8_25_42AM.thumb.png.418c2b51fba7f65bc30a27deb8837cd0.png

Sorry bud, this isn't a view specific setting.  It's all one way or all the other.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

To follow up on that,  we can use single line for the first floor and double line for the second floor.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I can use ref layers.....  probably too much trouble at this time.

Good thought but the likelihood of your upper joists lining 100% with lower is doubtful...

Scott, you could create a copy of the Plan File with the opposite framing display preference.  Then send to layout from each Plan.  Might be a pain to keetp coordinated when  changes are made - since the identical changes would have to be made to each plan.  OTOH, if the copy is only created when the project is completed it wouldn't be a problem.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

Scott, you could create a copy of the Plan File with the opposite framing display preference.  Then send to layout from each Plan.  Might be a pain to keetp coordinated when  changes are made - since the identical changes would have to be made to each plan.  OTOH, if the copy is only created when the project is completed it wouldn't be a problem.

I agree with Joe.  This is probably the most efficient solution.  Just add a quick Save As to part of your workflow before printing your layouts.

I think I would rather keep things in the one plan to ensure consistency.

You could create a Cad Detail From View of just the floor joists displaying (either single or double lines), copy into plan, turn off the framing display and then just use Cad detail to display one or both of the joist display types.

You would probably only need 1 cad detail of the joists as an alternative to the dynamic display type (single or double lines - whichever one you prefer), controlled by layer display/saved plan view.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, glennw said:

I think I would rather keep things in the one plan to ensure consistency.

You could create a Cad Detail From View of just the floor joists displaying (either single or double lines), copy into plan, turn off the framing display and then just use Cad detail to display one or both of the joist display types.

You would probably only need 1 cad detail of the joists as an alternative to the dynamic display type (single or double lines - whichever one you prefer), controlled by layer display/saved plan view.

CAD was my first thought too, but ultimately, I see the Referenced Plan as being way faster and far less error prone.  If you make any changes to the Plan...

• With the CAD method you have to delete the old CAD, switch Layer Set, create new CAD Detail, switch Layer Set back, copy and Paste CAD, and Delete extra CAD Detail.
  • With the second plan method all you have to do is Save As 2 times and you're done. 

Of course you have to change the Plan Display back and forth for both methods.

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, ACVNarch said:

As of x14, it appears that the "Use Line for Framing" default is floor specific, but not view-specific. 

Compare 1st & 2nd floor of the Framing, Roof Plan View: 

FramingLines.plan 4.86 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for bringing this up again.  I think it would be wonderful if it was VIEW SPECIFIC.

Example:

in floor plan I would like to show ridge beams as double dash line and

in framing plan I would like to show the ridge beam as single dashed line.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for sending that in.  I have requested it before.  I also talked to the Chief Muckety Mucks at the UGM about this....  specifically Brian.  

The more folks that request it the sooner it happens.

BTW,  the UGM was awesome this year,  the CA team was awesome,  and I learned a lot.  It was probably the best UGM I have attended.....  maybe because I learned a lot.

They said they had 144 folks attending which apparently is a record.  

I hope to return next year.

• Upvote 1