Displaying Only Addition Studs in Plan View

ClarkeThrasher

A peculiar problem I visited once before months ago but I have forgotten how it was accomplished, it may well have been solved in a rush by calling support, I can't find a thread of mine here for it.

Anyway, I had an addition plan where I could display the wall studs just for the addition in plan view (see attached screen shot). These studs are labeled "Framing, Wall Addition Studs" in the Default Set of the Layer Display Options.  BUT when I saved this plan to another name so I could change it without messing up the first plan, the new plan view does not display "Framing, Wall Addition Studs" although the layer still exists in the Layer Display Options, the studs in the addition walls are now the standard "Framing Wall."

There must have been some wholesale way that the Framing, Wall studs within the addition walls were changed to "Framing, Wall Addition Studs" because I'm sure I did not do it piece by piece?

Addition Studs Displayed.png

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Special New Material (and Layer) used in the Wall Definition?

try Exporting/Importing the Wall Definitions from the Plan it works in, into the new plan....

M.

Thank you for your effort, but it didn't make a difference since the wall definitions are identical because the new file was created by saving the old file under a different name.  I did import them twice to be sure.  I think the problem must arise out of the display options and some ability of the program to have walls display differently in plan view.  I can change one of the old preexisting walls to a new addition wall and does not make a difference. I haven't stumbled onto the secret yet of course.  

5 minutes ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

Thank you for your effort, but it didn't make a difference since the wall definitions are identical because the new file was created by saving the old file under a different name.  I did import them twice to be sure.  I think the problem must arise out of the display options and some ability of the program to have walls display differently in plan view.  I can change one of the old preexisting walls to a new addition wall and does not make a difference. I haven't stumbled onto the secret yet of course.  

I missed you had used Saved As to get the 2nd Plan .........

You've been around here long enough to know better than to Post a question withOUT the Plan , just sayin"..... :) 

M.

23 hours ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

There must have been some wholesale way that the Framing, Wall studs within the addition walls were changed to "Framing, Wall Addition Studs" because I'm sure I did not do it piece by piece?

You should be able to get them all in a swipe or two using Shift select to marquee as many as possible while the General Framing tool is activated. 1443049571_GeneralFramingtool(selected).JPG.0d4df0515be8e2ecbbedf1b3ee81bf11.JPG

50 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I missed you had used Saved As to get the 2nd Plan .........

You've been around here long enough to know better than to Post a question withOUT the Plan , just sayin"..... :) 

M.

I always think leaving the plan is TMI, plus don't want to subject myself to nit picking on unrelated issues or oneupmanship least there be some troublesome trolls on board.  Plus privacy issues for myself, my business and my customers.

20 minutes ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

I think so, if I can have a layer without studs showing in plan view on the preexisting walls at the same time as a layer with studs showing on addition walls as in the case in my screen shot. 

Yes once you have grabbed them...  Put them back on the layer they were supposed to be on.   If you can reproduce how they jumped off that layer send it into tech support so they can fix it, since that would be the most annoying thing to just happen.

Check to be sure auto frame is off before sending to tech though.

1 hour ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

I always think leaving the plan is TMI, plus don't want to subject myself to nit picking on unrelated issues or oneupmanship least there be some troublesome trolls on board.  Plus privacy issues for myself, my business and my customers.

Trolling? ......Doesn't really happen here, the CA Community here is probably the best I have experienced anywhere online...... and is very protective of it's members too.

The rest of it I really can't help you with :)

M.

2 hours ago, solver said:

I can understand, but you don't always need to post the plan, but just something that represents the problem. 

A few minutes on your end sure can make it easier for others to help.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Trolling? ......Doesn't really happen here, the CA Community here is probably the best I have experienced anywhere online...... and is very protective of it's members too.

The rest of it I really can't help you with :)

M.

OK, I think I removed any customer info so here you guys go, plans old.  Next reply will have new plan due to 25MB limitation.  BTW, Save As does not seem to be what created the problem. 

CT OLD Plan.plan

48 minutes ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

New plan with stud display problem.

Yes "Automatically Build Wall Framing"  is turned on in the New plan file so when the walls rebuild all the new studs end up on the Framing, Wall layer which destroys all of your custom work.

So somehow that was turned on ??   It will need to be off or each wall set to "Retain Wall Framing"  when you do any manual work on it.  I think there was a recent request for that to happen auto magically if it is something that you have difficulty remembering to do that.

Also got an odd warning while exploring in the kitchen area that may be causing issues.

image.png.c862a970201770f2f47a33d844736cc7.png

6 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

image.png.c862a970201770f2f47a33d844736cc7.png

This is pretty typical if you make a Deck on an Upper Story that is partially or wholly over Living Space below, changing it to a Balcony for example will cause it to Frame the Floor as a "Normal Room" and not use CA's Auto Deck Framing.

M.

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This is pretty typical if you make a Deck on an Upper Story that is partially or wholly over Living Space below, changing it to a Balcony for example will cause it to Frame the Floor as a "Normal Room" and not use CA's Auto Deck Framing.

I already deleted the file but I don't remember seeing a deck anywhere. ?

6 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I already deleted the file but I don't remember seeing a deck anywhere. ?

I didn't download the Plan as you and Eric had already figured out the Original Issue so I can't confirm it in this case.

M.

In response to all you good people:  My problem with Auto Framing ON, makes sense to me and so I will continue to try to figure out how to fix the display once I get AF turned off, didn't realize AF could screw up layer things -- to myself, I say, Duh!

The error message about the deck I have learned to ignore when I've got all the basic pre-existing structure as I need it, I turned it off for all my recent sessions.  Here's the thing about CA for remodeling work, one has to just work around program obstacles to get what one wants.  I dare say at least half of my time working a plan is devoted to attempting to get the existing structure close to virtual reality structurally speaking.  Part of this is just good old OCD which makes for a slow draftsman as well as a slow carpenter I must admit.  I was fairly proud of how I got that front entrance porch close to as built without too much time committed way back when. There was a weird, seemingly simple cantilevered flat roof cover over a former little side deck entrance that got deleted that I spent way more time on drawing.  Ya just never know what little pain in the ass thing will suck up your precious time.  This current one is a fine example, another 10 minutes of trying and I calling support as I tried to yesterday. 

Many thanks to you all!

6 hours ago, glennw said:

Am I missing something here?

If you don't want studs to display, don't you just need to use a wall definition for the existing walls that doesn't have a framing layer?

Nope you got it wrong, want new addition walls to show studs but want preexisting walls to NOT show studs least I confuse the building officials as to what is being built and what is not.  We didn't used to have to show this kind of detail to get a permit.  I can remember back when I first started in 1985, one could literally create a plan with notebook paper and pencil while standing at the city's permit counter with one of the officials coaching. 

8 minutes ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

Nope you got it wrong, want new addition walls to show studs but want preexisting walls to NOT show studs.

What Glenn is saying is use two different wall types for existing vs addition. For the existing walls, change the fir framing layer to something else that has no framing, like Insulation Air Gap. Then you'll only get studs for the addition.

OMG my ChiefTalk Brothers and Sisters, the solution is so easy and fast it's not funny, can I get a witness!!!  

So that I never forget again here is how:

(1) Delete Wall Framing -- go to Edit, Delete Objects, Framing/Check Wall Framing, and Delete

(2) In plan view, select the wall or walls you want to show studs -- Right Click and select Build Framing for Selected Object(s). 

BUT this is not what I had before because I have deleted all the other wall framing in the process and the studs shown are not the special display layer, Framing, Wall Addition Studs, that I had set up before but rather the standard Framing, Wall.  However, this fixes my current problem and so I'm not going worry about it until when and if I cross that bridge.

Great news......

Now 

1. switch to the  All OFF Layer Set   ( make sure ALL is actually off )
  2. In the Display Options ( or ALDO)  Turn ON..... just the  Framing,Wall     Layer
  3. Hold the Shift Key , ( called a marquee Select)  and Select all the showing Framing (studs) 
  4. Open the Objects per normal and on the Line Style Tab under Layer , change the Layer to your Addition Framing Layer.

M.