Roofed deck (porch) structure

JASchneider

Hello.

I am trying to design a roofed wooden porch (aka, deck) with full-height posts, going all the way from footings to beams supporting the (hip) roof.

When I build a deck with railings, I get a default outer-edge support structure (foundation) with piers, posts, and a beam that supports the deck framing. I can then change default railing newels to be shown as posts/columns under roof-support beams by modifying the "Rail Style" in the "Deck Railing Specification" (the setting is called "Post to Beam").

However, I'd like the posts go directly from foundation to roof. If possible, this would show code-appropriate hardware for attaching and supporting the deck joist support beam, but the posts would continue through the deck up to the roof-support beams. Above the deck, the posts would be wrapped as columns. I've already changed my newels to display as stacked columns, but they just rest on the deck, with its separate supporting structure (posts and piers are not aligned and contiguous with the columns).

Can anyone describe or point me to instructions on how to make this kind of structure?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

When you draw a deck and the posts are drawn automatically from the deck to the foundation below then you can just click on the individual posts and unlock the top height and make your post whatever height you want. 

1520276722_ScreenShot2020-12-12at12_16_51PM.thumb.png.f25e292e48ff24f4b8d132f6b7388800.png1820161943_ScreenShot2020-12-12at12_17_02PM.thumb.png.795ede8c32a1f3c8eb016b95bb40d652.png

Thank you, @Michael_Gia, I'll give that a try. @solver, I was simply trying to understand whether there was a "standard" way to do this. But if manual changes are what I need to make what I want, that's the answer.