Bates numbering....

mkennedy2000

9 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Too funny! And the answer is?:lol:

What I was actually thinking was this...."And the question is?"

Seriously, not sure what the question is.  Where does Matt want to use Bates Numbering?  What kind of information is he looking to include in the stamp?  He could be looking for a way to timestamp cabinets or simply looking for a time and date macro for his layout files.  Or maybe he's looking for a way to automatically name plan and layout files.  I don't know.   The question is just entirely unclear.  All we know is that it involves automating Bates Numbering.

Bates numbering is generally used in the production of documents to enumerate the pages. My primary use would be to create a plan set with sheets numbered using tis syatem. The new sheet created after sheet one would be sheet two. The sheet inserted between sheet one and sheet 2 would be sheet 1.1. 

I assume from the hilarity this ask occasions that its a ridiculous thing to expect from Chief....sigh......

I can always just print my layout to PDF with no sheet numbers and let the PDFG do the heavy lifting of indexing and numbering the sheets, but it seems like a reasonable utility for a program that produces what are intended to be documents. 

In that vein, I have started doing my design approvals from a #D model using the Chief hosting and viewer. The 3d viewer is also useful when explaining things to the crew.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do when you want to add a new sheet the planset? Do you use a different template? Do you seperate your MEP, structural, notes and other sheets in your numbering and indexing system system? And label them manually? Or.....

47 minutes ago, mkennedy2000 said:

Bates numbering is generally used in the production of documents to enumerate the pages. My primary use would be to create a plan set with sheets numbered using tis syatem. The new sheet created after sheet one would be sheet two. The sheet inserted between sheet one and sheet 2 would be sheet 1.1. 

I assume from the hilarity this ask occasions that its a ridiculous thing to expect from Chief....sigh......

Everything you mention can be accomplished using built in Chief tools and methods with the exception of the inserted sheet being automatically numbered as 1.1.  Those inserted pages with suffix numbering would need to be done manually. 

Thus the question...how to automate it....but i spose thats part of the magic of bates, new sheets dont alter any other sheet numbers. It probably is easy enough. But now i have ro number every sheet manuall as the sheet numbering macro wont work since CA doesnt support bates....hmmm....sounds like im missing skmething. @joey_martin do you have a macro that does bates numbering?

I would suggest you provide some more specific examples of what you’re looking for.  Just guessing at what you’re after but I wonder if you’re familiar with using this approach (sorry, I feel like there’s some better description that myself or someone else has written up but this is all I could find with a quick search)...

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/14960-can-a-macro-do-math/?do=findComment&comment=126703

This can be accomplished with Chief by using Layout Templates and the Page Information "Comments".

Example Template Labels:

1.%layout.comments% --> 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, ....

2.%layout.comments% --> 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, ....

3.%layout.comments% --> 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, ....

G-%layout.comments% --> G-1, G-2, G-3, ....

A-%layout.comments% --> A-1, A-2, A-3, ....

S-%layout.comments% --> S-1, S-2, S-3, ....

Then for each layout sheet just edit the Comments to the sub-number you want for that sheet.  It's not totally automatic but it gets the job done and the sheet numbers wont change when you insert a new sheet.  You just have to edit the comments field.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe this will also keep detail references pointing to the correct pages in the Layout.

@mkennedy2000 %page% macro is included in Chief. Simply put this macro on page 0 and it will number the pages. Even if you insert a new page, it will fix the numbering, unless you have a prefix or suffix of some sort. If you just want automated page numbering, this is the one. 

I also use the included date macro so that every time I open the layout I don't have to remember to change the date.

Thanks Joey. The %page% macro doesn't fix the numbering, it breaks it and renumbers every following page throwing detail callouts, previously issued sheet indexes and internal sheet references and so on out of whack off. Like the old window schedules. I've never been able to get the callout in a plan to locate the detail it refers to in another page of the layout. Is there a macro for that? I mean obviously there should be, and some PDF tools are smart enough to go through the plan and read the callouts then find the detail they refer to and hyperlink them which seems like pretty obvious function.

1 hour ago, mkennedy2000 said:

I've never been able to get the callout in a plan to locate the detail it refers to in another page of the layout. Is there a macro for that? I mean obviously there should be

Yes that is something that actually does work automatically. You just need to be sure and use the Layout Page Labels.

image.png.d6e894ddf00abad6c4dfde4f4f1bcd00.png

1 hour ago, mkennedy2000 said:

some PDF tools are smart enough to go through the plan and read the callouts then find the detail they refer to and hyperlink them which seems like pretty obvious function.

Does that work automatically ?   Which PDF viewer.

Not Automatic but I use %layout.label% on page 0 for Numbering  and if I need a 6.1 for example, I insert a Sheet after 6 and simply number it myself as 6.1 without the hashtag/pound sign (which is what forces Chief to number consecutively and renumber) via the Edit Page info DBX.  Of course YMMV but it seems to work okay for when I need it.

image.thumb.png.49173a9cf33280b76326f952195fdac2.png

*** Example done using Chief's ARCH D Template File from the CA Data>Templates>Layout Borders>Imperial>Arch D.layout

M.

This is great information. It's not totally automatic, but since I have to manually insert a layout revision, and cloud and label revisions manually, this is easily up to par with the rest of the tool kit AND offers a solution for smart detail labels. I've often thought (aimlessly and with no actions or effort) that it might be interesting to have a detail index - maybe broken out by trade and listing the details, the sheet the detail is located on and every sheet that refers to it. Ideally, in a PDF the user could click a detail and it would bring up a menu box listing the pages\plans\views that the detail was called out on.

And then a hyperlink to the CA 3d viewer.

I'd pay a little bit of money if CA would develop an integrated PDF creator\editor - I'd rather just skip layout TBH, I don't like to do any drafting work in layout view and if we skipped the layout and went straight to PDF, when an outside consultant (last week it was my structural engineer) adds a comment to a PDF I'd be able to link him to something akin top the 3d viewer, but a CA Live PDF. FWIW, I would use it myself. There are lots of times I just want to add notes based on a field visit and it would be great to have a single PDF that reflected bot the the archival work done in a CA model but synced with a distributed document in use by the field. This is actually kind of what Plan Grid offers (very kind of), but its not synced to CA so no use to me.