Roof issues with different results

stevenyhof

Hello,

I am struggling with the roofs on this house - which is kind of funny because it is like the first simple roof I have drawn.

I have run into this before and so remade roofs, mirrored good roofs over, moved my eave widths around and tried different options, and I just cannot figure this out.

SND1862 Tom and Stacie Doolittle.plan

https://www.loom.com/share/26172b2b24ec4471b4df534d6a4d696b

Thank you

12 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I can make them all boxed eaves so just moving forward with that...

A few simple thoughts:

1. the hip roof on the right could extend further to reduce the height of the gable behind it. That proportion doesn't feel quite right.
  2. I'd add similar gable siding treatments to both gables. Some decoration at the forward gable will help reduce the visual impact of the larger gable
  3. Add a timber truss to the gable ends mounted behind the sub-fascia.
  4. increase the height of the garage door on the right by 12". If it's 7', try using 8'....if it's 8' try using 9'. Again the proportion is off a bit IMO.
  5. Colors...tans are drab and they don't help it look better.

So I think I was right about the roof proportions being off. The hip roof was a 5:12 while everything else was 8:12...I changed it to 8:12.

And the large gable was placed at a totally random dimension...I moved it to 6' back from the wall with 18x8 garage door. I'd even suggest going to 18x9 just to fill up that space a bit more.

image.thumb.png.e27d750aaa191b8728346d2c0a055b84.pngimage.thumb.png.c2a6b5478867caca16b0987b0d5870b8.png

@stevenyhof

I assume this design was led by toilet paper hoarding? Or perhaps the client is doubling down on the green smoothies for breakfast? :D What can I say, this made me chuckle!

However if they need to strip down to use the can, then perhaps the shower heads need to be reoriented so the client has room to practice their ski-jumping form!

image.thumb.png.2c89da8b9ee622c337ebfd0341f9e922.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, robdyck said:

So I think I was right about the roof proportions being off. The hip roof was a 5:12 while everything else was 8:12...I changed it to 8:12.

And the large gable was placed at a totally random dimension...I moved it to 6' back from the wall with 18x8 garage door. I'd even suggest going to 18x9 just to fill up that space a bit more.

image.thumb.png.e27d750aaa191b8728346d2c0a055b84.pngimage.thumb.png.c2a6b5478867caca16b0987b0d5870b8.png

Good suggestions overall, I would comment that the trusses are a nice touch but where you ended the shake siding is still odd. I would design this exterior shake above fascia and move the band board at fascia height on the minor gable. If the shake is overwhelming try a james hardie straight edge for a little less movement or do a shake on the minor gable and a board and batton style on the major gable. 

5 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

I would design this exterior shake above fascia and move the band board at fascia height on the minor gable. If the shake is overwhelming try a james hardie straight edge for a little less movement or do a shake on the minor gable and a board and batton style on the major gable. 

image.thumb.png.afeac3ec7a9e8a38c1bc2f8d79c2d6e6.png

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

image.thumb.png.afeac3ec7a9e8a38c1bc2f8d79c2d6e6.png

Better but major gable is still split and that is wrong... use natural breaks to change materials when possible or add a break (ie band board above minor gable garage door). Also note. Band board should be beefier to balance the appearance of the heavy timber and also flow better with the lok and natural breaks of the house. Make it closer to the height of the bird box...

Fix.thumb.png.83e300740d4f21a277506ef089c5ac1d.png

2 minutes ago, Lakeside-E said:

Better but major gable is still split and that is wrong... use natural breaks to change materials when possible or add a break (ie band board above minor gable garage door). Also note. Band board should be beefier to balance the appearance of the heavy timber and also flow better with the lok and natural breaks of the house. Make it closer to the height of the bird box...

image.thumb.png.b46c592768fb6f2cdd084074f807f6a2.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

A few simple thoughts:

1. the hip roof on the right could extend further to reduce the height of the gable behind it. That proportion doesn't feel quite right.
  2. I'd add similar gable siding treatments to both gables. Some decoration at the forward gable will help reduce the visual impact of the larger gable
  3. Add a timber truss to the gable ends mounted behind the sub-fascia.
  4. increase the height of the garage door on the right by 12". If it's 7', try using 8'....if it's 8' try using 9'. Again the proportion is off a bit IMO.
  5. Colors...tans are drab and they don't help it look better.

hahaha... I appreciate the ideas Sir! The front is a new remodel, and while on a lake, are not looking to spend money on exterior things. I added the garages to give it some life, but that too will most likely just be steel solid panels.

I did make the garage door 8' now because I had 8' top plates and the client wanted 10' now, so was in the middle of working with the roof...

Thank you,
Steve

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

@stevenyhof

I assume this design was led by toilet paper hoarding? Or perhaps the client is doubling down on the green smoothies for breakfast? :D What can I say, this made me chuckle!

However if they need to strip down to use the can, then perhaps the shower heads need to be reoriented so the client has room to practice their ski-jumping form!

image.thumb.png.2c89da8b9ee622c337ebfd0341f9e922.png

I think of it more as a car wash... in one side and out the other.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you! You win the contest that is going on below. I'm not trying to win a contest on this thing, I just wanted the roofs fixed. Mind you I would love to know what you did to fix it, but I know time is money and so not pushing. 

Steve

4 hours ago, ShaneK said:

Now no boxed eve 2020-12-11_7-42-50.thumb.jpg.44aac264a0212668e85a705f6d24d716.jpg

chieftalk.plan

I spoke too soon. Sorry Charly, no cigar! I still gave you a +1 for trying :)

3 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you! You win the contest that is going on below. I'm not trying to win a contest on this thing, I just wanted the roofs fixed. Mind you I would love to know what you did to fix it, but I know time is money and so not pushing. 

Steve

your fascia were different heights,, only 3/8" of and back roof plane was corrupt so I deleted and made new. It was a very quick repair and you have a nice project. We both Michganders!!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:48 PM, ShaneK said:

your fascia were different heights,, only 3/8" of and back roof plane was corrupt so I deleted and made new. It was a very quick repair and you have a nice project. We both Michganders!!!!!

Thank you.

21 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Here is a new one I am running into the same issue. This house has a 16" eave and 12" gable.

Check out the video to see the issue...

https://www.loom.com/share/e907158541e142a197edb72584fb9faa

You'll never win trying to get flush eaves to work correctly. It seems that the problem boxed eave in the back of the house doesn't work because there is a roof plane below it. No logic to that, that's just what I've noticed in my own experience. I must admit, I've taken a plan that I wanted to use flush eaves, and after crying and swearing, I just designed it with boxed eaves all around. The answer to consistent flush eaves is that you'll need to uncheck boxed eaves and make all the parts manually. 

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

You'll never win trying to get flush eaves to work correctly. It seems that the problem boxed eave in the back of the house doesn't work because there is a roof plane below it. No logic to that, that's just what I've noticed in my own experience. I must admit, I've taken a plan that I wanted to use flush eaves, and after crying and swearing, I just designed it with boxed eaves all around. The answer to consistent flush eaves is that you'll need to uncheck boxed eaves and make all the parts manually. 

Good to know the roof below issue. It is things like that in time we begin to notice, and hopefully Chief does too.

I actually just thought of manually filling in the soffit, maybe make some block/symbol I can put in place and stretch. 

I do draw a lot of boxed eaves but lately it seems clients and builders are moving to this more modern farm house which do not have boxed eaves - however, they they don't have much of an eave so I get away with it then.

Thank you for the info!