Area display both in imperial and metric

HaroonMalik

Just adding a bit for the area macros, if you make the label with a global variable in it you can use that variable to do statistics, like for example construction area.

%$room1=room.standard_area.to_sq_ft.round(2)% sq ft

Now the variable $room1, will have the value of the area of that room.

if rooms 1 and 2 are the rooms where construction occurs, and the building permit is based upon room size them construction area will be %$room1+$room2%

Just a trivial example I know, but it works wonders for doing lot statistics with building areas, hard and soft landscaping, lot coverage and the like.

Hi Doug Norton

Thank you for your help.

I am a BCIN designer too. Working in Peel region most of the time.

Can you please share CA file to explain this.

This looks very interesting if we can figure out the lot coverage, hard and soft landscape %age, Site area etc. I desperately looking for this solution.

Looking forward for your help.

Thank you and best regards,

Haroon Malik

8 minutes ago, HaroonMalik said:

Hi Doug Norton

Thank you for your help.

I am a BCIN designer too. Working in Peel region most of the time.

Can you please share CA file to explain this.

This looks very interesting if we can figure out the lot coverage, hard and soft landscape %age, Site area etc. I desperately looking for this solution.

Looking forward for your help.

Thank you and best regards,

Haroon Malik

Here you go.  This is a typical project with site statistics.  The variables are used in the plan file and in the layout files

Garage Oakville.zip

interesting technique, took me a bit to find it... defining the global variable right in the label:

"

Proposed Garage

Garage Area = %$gasf=area.round()%

%$ga=(area.convert_to("sq m")).round(2)% m²

"

I never thought of doing it that way. I was always calling a macro to set the variable.

Doing it the way you've done it means no macros

Thanks for the insight.

well in this case it was not my plan (and there are actually two linked plan files), so I had to go looking. It turned out to be on the redrawn plot plan. I figured maybe you knew an easy way to find them :o). But your line of thinking is probably a good one, what are the chances of one forgetting where one put them....probably low.

8 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

I figured maybe you knew an easy way to find them :o)

I do.  I was just trying to figure out more specifically what you were hoping to accomplish.  You could have been talking about finding where you defined it, finding where you have displayed the value, finding the actual vale itslef, etc. etc.  If you're just looking for where the text has been used you should be able to simply use the Find/Replace Text tool.  Just make sure under Macro Options that its set to Include All and don't include the leading space before the text like you did above...

42 minutes ago, jasonn1234 said:

I was hunting and pecking looking for" $ga" in the layout and the plan

I mistyped in the post above I was looking for $ga but I did not check the macros...interestingly it is not actually in a macro (which is where I looked originally, macro management).

I just tried and sure enough if you check  macros it finds it. Thanks!

some other tidbits in case others find this post...from the user doc:

Find/Replace Text and Spell Check locate text in Rich Text, Text, Callouts, Markers, CAD blocks, schedule titles and headings, and custom labels for objects and rooms. They do not locate text in automatic object labels, default room labels, suppressed labels, the Materials List, or in schedules, however.

11 hours ago, jasonn1234 said:

interesting technique, took me a bit to find it... defining the global variable right in the label:

"

Proposed Garage

Garage Area = %$gasf=area.round()%

"

I never thought of doing it that way. I was always calling a macro to set the variable.

Doing it the way you've done it means no macros

Thanks for the insight.

Just for information, there is more than one way to convert values, for example in place of 

you could also use 

%$ga=(area.to_sq_m,round(2)% m²

and as Michael pointed out, anything between the % symbols is actually a macro, but it is not a recorded macro that you can reuse by calling its name, because you have not named it.