Horizontal bands on siding

BnCKelley

Wall Material Regions
To create a Wall Material Region, select Build> Wall> Material Region. Wall Material Regions are drawn on the vertical surface of a wall and are always drawn in camera or elevation views. If you create one by clicking once, it will cut around doors, windows, and fireplaces but will otherwise fill the entire surface of the parent wall.
Wall Material Regions set to cut the finish layers of their parent object will replace the layers of the wall between itself and the wall’s Main Layer with its own layers. See Wall Type Definitions.

45 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Or a poly line turns into a molding line? If it’s around all portions of the house you can do an automatic one and just set the molding specs.

45 minutes ago, BnCKelley said:

I have no clue what you're talking about, sorry.

Try searching the help files for line molding or poly line molding.

On 12/10/2020 at 4:32 AM, BnCKelley said:

Thanks y'all I'll try these and see if I can come up with something. Have a great day

Chief calls it a Belly Band , personally I have never heard it called that though.... this is Chief's tutorial:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00070/adding-a-belly-band-to-a-structure.html

M.

Called belly bands here too..

10 hours ago, BnCKelley said:

Thanks y'all I'll try these and see if I can come up with something

Its pretty simple BnC.

Pick the outer edge of you build, then select "Make Room Molding Polyline"

The height is just what it means, the height you want this band.> OK > The whole area will highlight > Open the object> from there you can build your band with the style you like.  Can build on top of others also, to get the stacked look.

I use this method also for brick ledges.. 

belly band 1.jpg

belly band 2.JPG

brick ledge.jpg

I searched for bands and belly bands and couldn't find anything in the help. I did try the wall material region but I was hoping for something I could set the height on, like 6" tall, etc. I've just got to keep working with it I guess. I also want to try the polyline thing. I had to quit early tonight. I'll let you know what I can figure out. The down time is killing me. Thanks guys

On 12/9/2020 at 10:07 PM, BnCKelley said:

Good evening everyone, is there a simple way to add horizontal bands to my siding on the elevation views. Like the trim board at the bottom and sometimes overhang on houses with batten and board siding? 

20201209_220543.jpg

I made this video a while back - but it might help. 

• Upvote 1

Dear BnC,

Learning Chief without an internet connection must be really hard.

And to add to that, being unwilling to learn using the Help function, training videos, the search function here at Chieftalk, and the Manual, must make it well nigh impossible.

You need to find a way to get some training by video.  It's a process.  You watch, hit the pause button, try doing it yourself in a test plan you have open, then go back to the video.  It'll take weeks, months

You should be working from a laptop, so you can take it with you, and go do this training at a quiet corner somewhere there's WiFi.

How long a drive is it for you to get to such a place?

Ok I wasn't sure and couldn't find anything in the forum to help on my topic. when I open my email and see my replies from The forum, can I reply in my email or do I always have to go to the Post in the forum to reply? Sorry for the duh huh question I'm just really not used to forums and such. Not sure where the link is to help what's my topic either.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2020 at 5:25 PM, mtldesigns said:

Called belly bands here too..

Its pretty simple BnC.

Pick the outer edge of you build, then select "Make Room Molding Polyline"

The height is just what it means, the height you want this band.> OK > The whole area will highlight > Open the object> from there you can build your band with the style you like.  Can build on top of others also, to get the stacked look.

I use this method also for brick ledges.. 

belly band 1.jpg

belly band 2.JPG

brick ledge.jpg

Wow, that is exactly the type board and batten I have been trying to create but I just can't seem to get there!