How to inset stair rails?

SingletonRW2

10 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Here’s a question for anyone who truly sees nothing wrong with the inset rail:  How far back can it be inset?  Perfectly flush?  3”?  12”?  24”?  17 feet?  

You really got your undies in a bunch on this one don't ya?!    
Not sure anyone suggested there was nothing wrong with the inset... and I can't speak for anyone else but I suggested that with the right clearance above it, it might be considered acceptable by some inspectors.    This a good example of why codes sometimes need interpretation and why people are employed to do such interpretation.   

3 hours ago, DzinEye said:

This a good example of why codes sometimes need interpretation and why people are employed to do such interpretation.   

Yes sir.  And some of those "people" you speak of are us -- general contractors, designers, architects, engineers, tradesmen...  We are paid to interpret code before it ever even gets to an inspector or plan reviewer, and then sometimes it falls on us to convince or even educate those guys.  We are really the primary interpreters though if you ask me.  Inspectors and plan reviewers are really just there to make sure we're doing our jobs.