Who calls it "trey"

GeneDavis

Tray ceilings got called that because the center raise, whether straight up, beveled, or corbeled, resembles an upside-down tray, as in "serving tray."

So who started calling it "trey?"  Someone at Cheef?

Trey's the Phish guitarist, not the ceiling.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree.  I suggested they change this very early on.  Its a very good example of the slow degradation of our language.  Sure, plenty of people say "trey" but its absolutely wrong and it's just become accepted because its been used so much.  Oh well, I guess that's how we get a lot of the words we have now.  It really does start to matter when we read old writings and try to understand what the writer was trying to communicate. 

• Upvote 1

Found this on a simple search

Is it tray or trey ceiling?
I've got a hunch how — at least in some people's minds — “trayceiling became “trey”: “très” is French for “very” (as in “very beautiful”). ... However, the correct adjective for a recessed ceiling — often directly over a bed or Dining Room table, and marked with dramatic, custom moldings — is “tray.”Sep 30, 2016

Surely CA would do a search to get the correct term where possible. In Building there are a lot of regional variations so I normally just go with it.

15 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Probably a programmer's confusion resulting from the 2 acceptable spellings of Gray (american) and Grey (British) for the color. ;)

of Gray (american) and Grey (British) for the color.  or is that colour?

Hey Joe,  how is the golf game?  Are you interested in joining us at RBI on Thursday afternoons at noon?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

of Gray (american) and Grey (British) for the color.  or is that colour?

Hey Joe,  how is the golf game?  Are you interested in joining us at RBI on Thursday afternoons at noon?

My clubs have been in a storage Pod since July.  I have to enclose a part of my patio for a shop so I can empty the Pod.  After January I would be available.  Obviously I will be a bit "rusty".

• Upvote 1