double column railing

mtldesigns

Need advise on how to provide a double column (newel) on raised porch, besides drawing manually.  I have done the double column before, but did it manually, the difference was that house was one step off of grade, therefore no railing was required.  The house I have now will require a railing.  I tried to break the wall, thinking that would add a column, sometimes it did, but if you tried to adjust the distance, well.. rail wall has A LOT to be desired for, that's all I'm going to say.  Basically it didn't work.  I also need to keep the "beam" that chief puts in with the "post to beam" selection, per the engineer for wind load (hurricane winds)

double newels.JPG

5 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Well, I did ask huh.  :-)  Was hoping for a magic button I was unaware of.  Thanks for confirming my thought process..

Use a little section of perpendicular Room Divider wall to more precisely control the break.  You can also do what Eric has shown, but it can be pretty complicated and time consuming to get like you want it at ends of walls and at other transitions. 

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

but it can be pretty complicated and time consuming to get like you want it at ends of walls and at other transitions. 

I have two full decks to do this with, with a lot of corners.  This is going to take a little bit of time.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Use a little section of perpendicular Room Divider

This is what I thought I had to do.  

Yes they do. I made a sample deck off to the side.  The first problem going with a larger sq. column, is it hangs off the edge of the deck, if you use the dbx.  So I made my newels 0" in size... placed the symbols of columns.  I cut the wall, and where I don't want railing is an invisible wall.  How do I get the rails to sit back?  If I can figure this out, I should be ok.. just a tedious process.  

porch 2.jpg

porch 3.JPG

9 hours ago, joey_martin said:

different lengths of railing I turned into symbols

That's a good idea Joey..

On 12/7/2020 at 8:27 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

perpendicular Room Divider wall to more precisely control the break

That's what I ended up doing..   ended up looking great.. IMO

23 hours ago, solver said:

railing wall thicker

Thanks guys for the direction.  

EXTERIOR 1.jpg