How Do I Fix This Cable Rail On The Stair?

4hotshoez

post-170-0-64589500-1416407683_thumb.jpg

You made the balusters into cables. You need to make a railing wall at the stairs to have cables on the stairs.post-170-0-57817300-1416407437_thumb.jpg

This railing wall will sit on top of the stairs in order to get the "Follow Stairs" to work

post-170-0-51005700-1416407468_thumb.jpg

Path for the cables

post-170-0-76947000-1416407483_thumb.jpg

Then I adjusted my stair railing to only have a top rail because the top rail of the cable panel does not look correct

post-170-0-18025500-1416407499_thumb.jpg

cable rail example.zip

Kudo's to Gawdzira for a great illustrated step-by-step explaination. Sometimes I can't follow others descriptions of the solutions with too many abreviations or options to choose without knowing which dbx (dialog box) I need to be in!  Thanks for the slow motion version for us "old timers"  :-)

Look in a perspective camera view of the stairs from floor 1. You will see the railing wall that shows with cable railing infill. If you click with your mouse in plan view at this location it will probably select the stairs first. Hit the tab key to get to the wall below (in selection order).

Todd, I haven't looked at the plan but if you're not seeing the wall on the stair, then select the stair and open its dbx and make the stair have a fill of transparent. You need to have your cursor over the wall when you tab to select it. 

There is a partial wall under the stair to enclose it and I tried working with that, but it did not help and even messed up the height. There was an invisible wall to divide rooms, but that has been turned off to avoid being selected. The only thing is the railing itself, which I want to change, but is not selectable apart from the stair. There is a railing on the second floor that comes to the stair that I selected to "follow the stair". Then it ended up on the first floor. This is getting very frustrating as I do not see anything intuitive in this process. I know it can be done, but I am not getting it.

Possibly, with this condition, you will need to fake the lower wall with a poly line solid and keep the upper wall that can be a railing wall as I placed in your plan.

I realize this is frustrating since you are transitioning from other software. I do not have time today but I could possibly do an online meeting with you late tonight after the sun goes down in California. I am headed out of my office now to suck some saw dust but if you can meet late (your time) maybe around 9 or 10 pm in Michigan we could solve this pretty quickly.

Feel free to call me or email

831-747-4718

alan@lehmandesignstudio.com

As I play with my stair configuration, I am beginning to hate the way Chief attempts to build stairs. If I change one setting, the stair comes apart or jumps sideways or changes width or changes the number of treads or the height of my landing. Now I  know my stair might be unusual with two stairs connecting to the same landing, but I am about to build them manually in Sketchup. I don't like it Sam I am!

Todd, as you're finding, stairs I believe is the weakest part of the program. Someone probably warned you about stairs early on. It's not quite so bad once you figure it out but yes, stairs do jump often when you open them especially when you have multiple stairs and with walls under the stairs. It's most frustrating (putting it mildly). Even the best of Chief users have problems with certain stair designs. We have been asking for better stair control for years but no luck yet. Maybe Alan can give you a hand. I was just working on a plan that had 3 flights of stairs on top of each other with different floor heights on each floor. It was a big time major PIA trying to get it to work. Once I got it, you don't want to select anything for any reason for fear that a section will jump or screw up walls.

Once I got it, you don't want to select anything for any reason for fear that a section will jump or screw up walls

Yep, now get a client request to move the stairwell  over X" :(

the smaller X is the harder the task becomes :(

in my simple brain there needs to be a stairwell "framework"

that all the pieces and parts get attached to

then that framework can be moved around  with ease 

everything attached would go together as a single unit

Lew

I think the problem is that you have specified the cable rail in the wrong spot.

In the Railing Specification dbx, you have specified the cable rail in Newels/Posts section - this is incorrect. 

You need to specify the cable rail on the Newels/Balusters panel...Panels and specify Panels on the Rail Style panel.

Why do you have your stair rails drawn on the level 2 and displayed on level 1?  

I think the problem is that you have specified the cable rail in the wrong spot.

In the Railing Specification dbx, you have specified the cable rail in Newels/Posts section - this is incorrect. 

You need to specify the cable rail on the Newels/Balusters panel...Panels and specify Panels on the Rail Style panel.

Why do you have your stair rails drawn on the level 2 and displayed on level 1?  

Thanks for catching that Glenn, That is not usually my problem, but that helped clean things up. So now my horizontal rails are working, but I am still not able to get the cable to show properly on the stair.

post-2194-0-89451300-1416922569_thumb.png

StairRailTest.plan

I am still not able to get the cable to show properly on the stair.

I have been waiting for that comment. This is why I do all my cable railing manually as well as my posts(newels). Yes it's a little time consuming to do it manually but it's the only way I can get it to do the way I want (or at least make it fairly close).

Perhaps someone can help with this one.

The 1st floor has a landing at the front door, an elevated foyer.

I broke the stair flights into two stair to be able to display the upper half as dashed and transparent.

The 1st & 2nd floor stair  do not align in length as the floor heights are different, this is intentional.

All was OK until I tried to make all railings horizontal wire style.

The problem I have is the 2nd floor stair railing & cleaning uo the angle on the 1st floor stair railing.

1st AveSouth2.zip