Can a Material Be Nothing?

ClarkeThrasher

Because I prefer the Vector view in 3D rather than the Standard which I guess is ray-trace (I don't know, don't like it's artifice), I need a way to make panel material be NOTHING, perfectly clear like air.  For example, in this screen porch plan, I want the panels in the door which I have changed from Wood to Screen Material to be Nothing Material so that the door and framework can be read as screen framework and let the mind's eye imagine the screen.  This approach works the same for shower enclosures I find.

Screen Door Sans Screen Need.png

7 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@ClarkeThrasher - not in vector view. Even "open no material" is not "clear" in vector view. Even glass appears as a solid in vector.

See attached:

Yep, seems like there should be a way, I have tried making a custom nothing material to no avail.  I guess I will draw a custom door.  I seem to remember a CA version where you could click on 3D and have an option that would allow seeing through window glass into room spaces.  This was probably pre-ray-trace or whatever the Standard view is.

6 minutes ago, dshall said:

CAn't you use a glass material and designate the glass as not obscure?

There may be a downside but I can't think of it now.

451383178_ScreenShot2020-12-07at8_48_08AM.thumb.png.bb6b9d6d2e3cee74011b7fff22c8825e.png

Nope...doesn't work no matter how you tweak the settings.

C'mon Chief. Give us something.

2020-12-07_11-55-22.thumb.png.f6a02114f1f1552588e632f384204dd8.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, ClarkeThrasher said:

I can't find a designation choice called "not obscure" are you sure your view here is Vector?

Clarke - there isn't any material in Chief that will not appear as a solid in "vector view". You will have to do what Eric/@solver has suggested above...create a door without panels. 

17 minutes ago, dshall said:

uncheck it Steve,  do not have it checked.  My example is a vector view and I can see through the window.

It is “unchecked”. And - I did create a new camera view. Weird

oops...I unchecked on Standard View...not Vector.  Thanks Scott

43 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@dshall - well, unchecking "opaque window glass" in vector view rendering technique does make door/window glass clear. However, railing panels still appear opaque.

I'm sorry to say to you that I gave up on portraying screen, SNestor, maybe X13 or X26 will address the need.  Maybe we could organize a protest.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

uncheck it Steve,  do not have it checked.  My example is a vector view and I can see through the window.

Scott - your post was right on...you are of course "the man". Hope you are doing well is sunny San Diego. Lock Down!